Seat and seat belt retention methods

Getting close to mounting my seat! Wondering what folks have done to mount seats and harnesses while still maintaining as much ground clearance as possible. What type of fasteners/plates/brackets etc are appropriate? Photos would be especially helpful if anyone has any handy. Appreciate the info!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Do you have a lowered pan for the seat to sit in or is it a flat floor. Check my build log for pictures. In my car the drivers seat is in a lowered pan and the passengers is on the flat floor.

On the flat bottom side: If you run the bolts upward then all you have under the floor is the head and a big diameter washer. Thread the floor. It will retain the bolt somewhat so you can do the seat in/out alone or it will make it a bit easier on the wife to hold the bolt head under the car while you tighten it. Use nylock nuts so it all doesn't fall out the bottom.

In the lowered pan side: Make brackets so that the mounting bolts (bracket to car floor) run horizontally out the sides of the pan. Tight but doable and will save ground clearance.

In the lowered pan side: Make brackets so that the mounting bolts (bracket to car floor) run horizontally out the sides of the pan. Tight but doable and will save ground clearance.

That's a clever idea, Howard! The left side will need a strong bracket to be sure it doesn't pull up on impact.

Another solution is to use button heads on the bottom (with washers, of course). That makes the minimum depth for an assembly.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's what I am talking about. I made my mount but you get the idea.

Attachments

• HPIM0861.jpg
    HPIM0861.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 325
  • HPIM0862.jpg
    HPIM0862.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 313
  • HPIM0864.jpg
    HPIM0864.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 315
  • HPIM0863.jpg
    HPIM0863.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 320

Howard Jones

Supporter
The forces generated in a shunt MUST be transmitted to the belt system and then directly to the chassis NOT the seat!!!!! Do not bolt seatbelt system to seat!

Michael Fling

Supporter
The forces generated in a shunt MUST be transmitted to the belt system and then directly to the chassis NOT the seat!!!!! Do not bolt seatbelt system to seat!

In our formula car, there is no seat. It is a poured foam that sits behind you. The belts are mounted to the chassis etc. That is exactly how I am doing my seats in my SLC. I cannot wear a helmet without hitting my head... so no seat other than a poured seat.

Back