Graziano Fluids Pre-filled?

I went to add gear lube to my Graziano transaxle, and in opening the side access, fluid started to come out. Are these pre-loaded with gear lube? Should I drain what is in it and add new fluids? Does anyone know the amount of gear lube the Graziano takes? I have a tranny cooler. Do I need to add lube because of the cooler?

Help!

The Graz comes pre filled. It takes 4 qts. I’ve heard checking via the inspection plug isn’t a reliable way to check for proper level. Here’s a write-up on a Lamborghini with the same transaxle.

Gallardo Oil & Filter Change

In your case, since you have a cooler, I would pre-fill the cooler via the lower of your two cooler lines - fill it till you know the cooler and lines are basically full. Connect the lines, you’ll have a bit of spillage. Fill trans with 4 qts (if you’ve drained it). If not, then you’re probably just fine. Maybe add another few ounces to make up for whatever was lost.

The link above has some info on type of oil needed.

Good luck!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Fill your external system, cooler, hoses, etc. and then drain back into a clean container, Measure amount. Remember (I wrote it on my work bench for both cars). Add to the fill amount in the future.

Never run new gearbox (full of oil from vendor). IMHO I would drive it around a few mins and then drain it and throw it away just like a new engine startup. Why? Because who knows what's in there from the factory. Low load running for a few mins will give any debris a chance to migrate to the drain plug area of the box and be expelled with the rest of the oil when you drain it.

I just did both of my cars, Always in January, engine oil, gearbox, coolant. I changed the brake fluid flush to July to do it when the humidity is lower and air temps are warmer.

You guys are so helpful. I will be able to do it next week. It looks like I will have my first start and go kart ride real soon. Thanks

Fill your external system, cooler, hoses, etc. and then drain back into a clean container, Measure amount. Remember (I wrote it on my work bench for both cars). Add to the fill amount in the future.

Never run new gearbox (full of oil from vendor). IMHO I would drive it around a few mins and then drain it and throw it away just like a new engine startup. Why? Because who knows what's in there from the factory. Low load running for a few mins will give any debris a chance to migrate to the drain plug area of the box and be expelled with the rest of the oil when you drain it.

I just did both of my cars, Always in January, engine oil, gearbox, coolant. I changed the brake fluid flush to July to do it when the humidity is lower and air temps are warmer.

You are changing your transmission fluid on the Graziano every year?

Howard Jones

Supporter
I change my GT40's Renault 21, and my SLC's Porsche G50 along with all other fluids, eng. oil, coolant, and brake fluid once a year. All except brake fluid in late December or early Jan. and brake fluid in July. Easy to remember. Both see track work and few highway miles.

I tried to keep track of mileage but it was so little on a annual basis that it would take years to reach any commonly used millage number. The annual method keep fluids current on a age basis and maybe more importantly insures a complete fill and inspection of drained oil for debris.

None of my stuff leaks. If you have leaks then all bets are off, but whatever you do keep the gearbox full of oil. If it get low it will get REAL HOT and you will be spending a LOT of $$$$.

I change my GT40's Renault 21, and my SLC's Porsche G50 along with all other fluids, eng. oil, coolant, and brake fluid once a year. All except brake fluid in late December or early Jan. and brake fluid in July. Easy to remember. Both see track work and few highway miles.

I tried to keep track of mileage but it was so little on a annual basis that it would take years to reach any commonly used millage number. The annual method keep fluids current on a age basis and maybe more importantly insures a complete fill and inspection of drained oil for debris.

None of my stuff leaks. If you have leaks then all bets are off, but whatever you do keep the gearbox full of oil. If it get low it will get REAL HOT and you will be spending a LOT of $$$$.

Thanks...I think I am going to keep mine to changing it once every other year. She only gets driven mildly on the street and about 2k per year so the Graziano will be every other year and oil change annually. Thanks!

Back