RCR T70 weight vs RCR GT40 ?

Fran, have you had a chance to weigh the body/chassis units of both cars to have an idea of what the finished weight difference may be. I've heard the T70 body design could allow it to be quite a bit lighter than the GT40.

mh99-9-25.jpg

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Craig.
Cool picture....
the difference in weight is not solely down to the body work but also the contruction of the chassis.
As both my cars are tube frame they are very similar in weight,the T70 has a little less material in the dash support structure but marginal....
The T70 body is lighter due to its simpler design,the GT40 body has a lot of internal ducting and extra pieces so will weigh a little more.
I would expect the difference to be around 100lbs total...when I have the time I will do a direct comparison for you....

The monocoque tub that is being developed will be lighter than the
tube frame and will be useable under any of the body styles .....available in about six months at the current rate

There is a huge difference between Lola's and GT 40's. GT40's are much more robust thus weigh more. Lola's rarely won races longer than 2 hours. P4's were even lighter. The guy's who raced those in the rain had big ones.

SL71-32 was the second Donohue/Pensky T70 described in "The Unfair Advantage"
1st Kent Washington USRRC Donohue
1st Mossport Can AM Donohue
1st Nassau speed week. Donohue
Several other finishes Donohue
A Sports racing Championship 67,68,69 John Meyer
1st and record holding Mt Equinox Hillclimb Champion

P 3/4 0846 raced at Le Mans, Targa Floria and finished 1st at Daytona in 67 Amon/Bandini
This June 0846 and 002C (my 166s the oldest existent Ferrari) have been invited to the Historic Targa Floria.
J6 and 0846 will be at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto in Feb.
Best

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Jim !
I know your Lola was originally a spyder then rebodied into a IIIB coupe, but what I don't understand is the listing in the John Starkey "Lola T70" book. For chassis SL71/32, it just states ----" John Mecom. Spare tub.". However for chassis SL71/35 it states "John Mecom on 5/7/66 for Roger Penske Racing. Their second MarkII.". It then goes on to give the same winning racing history that you describe for your chassis SL71/32. I'm confused !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Regards Brian

Like much of what get written Starkey's first edition was wrong. He corrected it in his second edition as David Hodges corrected J5/J6 in his second edition.

I'm not sure what the tub alone weighs but with all the stuff we've added she now weighs about 2600lbs.
J6 weighs 2300lbs. and 0846 weighs 1850lbs.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jim !
That information, came from the second edition. Per the title " LOLA T70 The racing history & individual chassis record updated and revised edition" Is there a third edition out that I don't have yet ?
Regards Brian

Jim's race history is believed to be correct as he states it.
The earlier books have been revised. Jim has the second(of 4 or 5) Penske
T70 that won the third Can Am race.

Back