GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Replica Manufacturers' Corner > RCR Forum - RCR40 /SLC / P4 / MKIV

RCR Forum - RCR40 /SLC / P4 / MKIV Sponsored by Race Car Replicas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
EFNFAST
I Have No Life
Canada

GT40: 917, SLC, Cobra
Bolt torque into aluminum?

For socket head screws tapped into aluminum to hold brackets (i.e., not machine screws you use the screwdriver with), how much torque would you apply to a 1/4x20 bolt?

1/4x20 is usually 10ft-lbs, so that's what I did; then removed 4 of them to sharkhide the area, then put it back and all were stripped (boooo =( ). Then I researchd and it says for aluminum reduce tq values by 40%

So that's around 5-6ftlbs or so.

I knwo ya'll will say "snug with the socket", but is 5-6ft-lbs snug enough for a 1/4 or 5/16 (what I ended up drilling the stripped 1/4s out to)?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
x19.driver
A Tenth
United States

Re: Bolt torque into aluminum?

If you don't have too many brackets, you may want to heli-coil your mounting holes. This solved a lot of problems.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
EFNFAST
I Have No Life
Canada

it's only 2 brackets that's I'm using the socket heads on. I thought of heli-coiling them .... after I finished drilling them out to 5/16
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Big-Foot
Super Moderator
United States

GT40: RCR40 - #45

Reduce torque and use an Anti-Seize compound on the threads.. You may not have stripped the threads, but actually had them gall and seize on the bolts.
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
molleur
Bronze Supporter
United States

GT40: SL-C LS1/930LSD

Alex, try gently running your tap through again. Use anti-seize as Randy suggested.
I torqued mine to 8 ft/lbs. Made many brackets and this is what works for me.
Use a heli-coil as necessary. I had one tapped hole that gave me the same problem.
Chased it out with the tap & it worked fine.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
EFNFAST
I Have No Life
Canada

~everything~ that's gone into the frame has been anti-seized....gobs and gobs of anti-seize everywhere, heh.

I think maybe my inch/lb tq wrench may not be accurate anymore (it's a $30 cheapy one because I couldn't find a quality inch/lb one that wasn't super expensive). I tried chasing (and then re-tapping) the 4 holes, but that didn't do any good.

Good thing it was only a handful I used allen-headed socket bolts on and not the screwdriver/machine screws =)
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
molleur
Bronze Supporter
United States

GT40: SL-C LS1/930LSD

Sounds like heli-coil or nutsert time...
Old 3rd February 2010, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
EFNFAST
I Have No Life
Canada

yea, my 1/4'' tq wrench (in/lb) definately was messed up. I always got the feeling something waas wrong with it, but I wasn't going to pay $60 to calbrate a $25 wrench .... so i bought a new industrial strength one; $150. Much much better (my 30 to 100lbs and 40 to 250lbs are both high quality as well, so no worries there)

So basically using the torque values and not accounting for

- buggered up torque wrench
- anti-seize would lower torque value a bit
- threading into aluminum would lower torque value a lot more
- stainless steel bolt

= I screw myself. hehe, lesson learned, as usual

Btw, in an effort to outhink myself, what I've done now is, instead of using 5/18 stainless steel socket heads (i couldn't find any zinc plated ones locally unless I wanted to pay $50 for a 100pack), i replaced them with 5/16 machine screws, like I'm using ot hold my rubber insulated clips for brakes/electrical. mUahahahaha, can't over-torque those with my screwdriver (unless I tried using a drill to do it, lol!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by molleur View Post
Sounds like heli-coil or nutsert time...
Nah, i just drilled the 1/4x20 to 5/16x18
Old 4th February 2010, 02:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
EFNFAST
I Have No Life
Canada

Okay, all buttoned up! It took me 3hrs today, but I found a place that carried plated machine screws in 5/16. Man, those are hard suckers to find, but worth it - install with a screwdriver means Alex can't screw it up and over-torque them, muahahaha

You can't even tell it should have been 1/4; infact, I meant to do 5/16 all the way. Yep, yep, no galled/stripped threads here, it was all part of the master plan

Old 4th February 2010, 08:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
trader
8 Tenths
United States

Great solution you Alex.