All about the RCR LMP1...

Thought we would get this thread started (since no one else has) to discuss (and gain information on) the RCR LMP1 track car project. Hope information on it will follow, we are dying to see what is in the works up there......... :helmet:

I was at the shop last week and talked with Fran about the car. Best part of the deal is that it will NOT need a Porsche/Griffin transmission ! You can use all vette running gear or spend to your hearts content on better stuff. Looking forward to seeing it myself. My only wish it that it would have a top over driver. But ..............

I was at the shop last week and talked with Fran about the car. Best part of the deal is that it will NOT need a Porsche/Griffin transmission ! You can use all vette running gear or spend to your hearts content on better stuff. Looking forward to seeing it myself. My only wish it that it would have a top over driver. But ..............

Yes, that means that, for the first time, you can get a Superlite or RCR mid-engined car with an automatic without any real effort. For some people, that makes all the difference.

For example, if you had a left knee problem, this is your track day solution.

RPM, among others, can build really strong Corvette automatics, so even big-power cars are possible with an automatic.

It's also likely to be cheaper with the Corvette trans, compared to a traditional transaxle.

It's also not a street car, being too low to run on the street, and the body and chassis wouldn't work well if it were raised to gain clearance. So, track only for this car.

I don't think anyone will have a final weight until the car is done and on track, but it has the potential to be very light indeed, probably much lighter than a street SLC, for example.

I think he bought a couple of these bodies from Kim Baker.

cadillac_LMP02_bodies_001.jpg

how is standard vette running gear (including auto trans) going to work in this car, is it not going to be rear mid-engined?

how is standard vette running gear (including auto trans) going to work in this car, is it not going to be rear mid-engined?

Simple. Get rid of the driveshaft between the engine and transmission. (The Vette trans is in the rear of the car, but the output shafts are in the rear of the transmission. This makes it very difficult to use for the SLC. Hope this helps.)

See pic below:
frame12.jpg

One more...
chevrolet-corvette-c5-chassis.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhhh (at the risk of seeming like an idiot) I did not know that the corvette trans. had been moved to the rear on the cars. I thought they were still mated at the front into a differential out back. Thats fantastic news! :thumbsup:

Ohhhh (at the risk of seeming like an idiot) I did not know that the corvette trans. had been moved to the rear on the cars. I thought they were still mated at the front into a differential out back. Thats fantastic news! :thumbsup:

Make that two of us:idea:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ask me how much of a PITB changing a clutch was on those cars! :furious:

We were hoping that is what he is working off of. The Cadillacs are great looking and well behaved P1s. If the LSA motor would fit in it would be like having the real thing :2thumbsup:.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Awesome! This may be exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone have any idea about the approximate date of availability? Any more photos? Thanks, David

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
David,

we are already at the start of production...moulds are done, I am waiting for the first of the modified new transaxles for the LMP to arrive....we already have orders for the car...
Here is the spec of the kit available....

Aluminum monocoque tub RHD per LMP900(full flat floor)
Steel engine and rear suspension cradle/billet chassis plate..
(LS Chevrolet engine T56 corvette transaxle manual or auto package only…not included)
Steel roll hoop (individual)
15 gallon FIA FT3 fuel bladder
Penske 8300 double adjustable shocks
CNC billet uprights
Steering rack
Steering column with sealed bearing u-joint
Steering wheel quick disconnect
Fiberglass seat shell and mounts
Gelcoat finish body panels (10+ colors available)
White,black,ninja green,yellow,gulf blue,deep green,red,deep blue,primer grey,orange,grabber blue.
Body latches with stainless steel alignment pins
Front splitter and rear wing/ supports
Billet aluminum/steel hybrid control arms
Chromoly/Teflon spherical bearings throughout
GM wheel bearings
Chromoly stub axles
Race axles with high speed race cv boots/joints
Shifter assembly
Tail/brake lights
Forgestar wheels 18 x 10 and 18 x 12
Tilton triple pedal assembly with master cylinders
Brembo 4 piston calipers front and rear
14 inch rotors front and rear
Brake line kit with braided hoses
Aluminum radiator
AIM MXL dash (base unit)
Rear wing/mount (carbon available)
Rear diffuser
Price: $42,995.00

This is as close to a real LMP car as you can get without the crazy price tag of seq. transaxles and carbon tubs..
I have all the suspension geometry from the original cars , along with all the aero components.....and these are what we have replicated

As you can see the spec of some of the components in the kit, it really shows that this will be a true race car(zero street car option)...bladder/Penskes etc...come on boys its time to go fast....really really fast

Last edited:
:shocked::stunned: Thats sounds amazing. Now there are 3 cars I want to build. I'm starting to think this site is a bad influence:lipsrsealed:

SA-WEEEEEET!!!!!!!! Have you made any significant changes from the (01) Cadillac LMP car? What's the "estimated" ground clearance (could I get it onto a low "sports car" trailer)?

Thanks. Can't wait to see the end result!!!!!!!!!

SLC
RCR40
LMP
FFR COBRA

:bash:
I know, I know, but I do like the Cobra and besides the body quality Its a good looking kit.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The car has 3 inches of ground clearance MAX....this is an LMP race car...It looks just like the #6 LMP shown above ....

Back