Getrag Transaxle

I have ordered an Ultima Can Am and am looking for a good builder Of Getrag Transaxle transmissions. I plan on putting a
650HP SBC in the car and want to make sure the tranny will handle it. Any suggestions?
I live in Dallas and would prefer a local supplier. I know it can be done as Porsche has racing engines at about the same horsepower.

If necessary I will reduce the horsepower to fit what is available.

Guys the Ultima Transaxle from Getrag is the same that is used in the Porsche Boxster-S. If you go to the www.getrag.de site you can see the 6 spd transaxle there.

However this has come up in discussion before. The site only lists the max torque at 340Nm, and I have also been advised this from an engineer at Getrag. I tried contacting Ted Marlow, as to reliability etc, but got no response.

If it standard, then I would sudggest looking at a breakers yard. Over here the units are about £3500+VAT (new) from a normal person [that's £8,500+Vat if you ask Porsche] or I got a quote from a breakers ard for £1500+VAT, a considerable saving (with warranty I might add)....

Maybe I'm easily confused, but I'm having trouble figuring out the Getrag and Audi gearbox nomenclature. For example, the above post is the first reference I've seen to an "016TQ," what exactly is that? Next, are all the transaxles listed on the www.getrag.de website variants of the 01E? Is 01E an Audi designation?

AJS,
I am right in thinking you have been referencing Audi boxes in your post? If so, yes they are built by Getrag.

However, the transmission that Ultima use if you reference thier website is a Getrag 6 spd trans. This is the one from the Boxster-S from my understanding. However, it would be nice if it the one used in the Turbo (BTW Porsche quote that out at £11,468+VAT, or a mere £1K off if you have locked diffs, now you klnow why they are the most profitable car company in the world!).

If you can decipher this lot below, it reads left to right: Type, gears, Torque (Nm), axel base, 1st gear, weight, Model fitted to

Typ Gänge Drehmoment*
in Nm Achsenabstand
in mm 1.Gang
Übersetzung Gewicht** Fahrzeuge

256 6 bis 310 87 3,818 60,1 Porsche Boxster S
448 6 bis 540 85 3,818 70,0 Porsche 911 Turbo, GT3, Rennfahrzeuge Carrera Cup
450 + Allrad 6 bis 370 87 3,818 60,3 + 64,2 Porsche 911
466 Allrad 6 bis 450 82 73,0 Audi A4 quattro S4, 2.5 TDI,A6 quattro 3.0 TDI
815 6 bis 262 75 3,62 57,0 Audi A4, A6, A8 (2.5 TDI), A6 2.7 5V,VW Passat 1.9 TDI PD, 2.5 TDI
815 Allrad 6 bis 400 75 4,11 71,5 - 74,1 Audi A4 quattro 1.9 TDI PD,A6 quattro 2.5 TDI, 2.7 5V, 4.2 V8, A8 quattro 4.2 V8,A6 Allroad 2.5 TDI, 2.7 5V,VW Passat 1.9 TDI PD, 2,5 TDI

Another option is the G50 and G64 based 5 and 6 speed Porsche boxes. I have not heard of anyone using the G64, but I think the rear housing could be milled such that it is less than an inch longer then the G50 and you get an extra gear.

>>Maybe I'm easily confused<<

Mark, I cannot claim to be entirely clear on all the nomenclature either. 016 and 01E are Audi references. I assume the "Q" that is mentioned in the e-mail attachment, is for Quattro. The 01E is, AFAIK, available in both 2WD and Quattro variants. It is my understanding that the 2WD 6 speed 01E was only available on European (or perhaps non US) Audi's. The 016 5 speed was of course available in the US Audi 5000.

Andy

I've done a bit of research, and asked a lot of questions with regard to both the 016 and the 01E with little to hang my hat on. Some claim they've put up to 500HP through the 016, others claim you'll blow 3rd gear and chew-up ring gears with 400 HP. The Audi racers suggest the 01E is good for an additional 100 "turbo HP" over the 016, but even these guys are undecided which is the best way to go.

The only consistent "opinion" overall, is that the Porsche transaxles are reliable and strong. Seems the 915 is reliable up to something between 400HP and 500HP, depending on who you talk to, and that the 930/G50, etc., are bulletproof. I've purposly left out comparisons to ZF, Hewland, Fortin, etc.

I was at Willow Springs Raceway this past weekend (Cobra Club track day), where there were two GTD's running the UN1-013 Renault's behind SBF's. Both the fellows I spoke with claimed no issues with their *strengthened* transaxles (I didn't ask about HP). From reading on this forum, I know that several members across the pond have successfully used the Renault for several years.

A lot of the information is based on HP, but that is not the most appropriate measure. It would be real nice to see some genuine torque ratings for all of the transaxles that are considered for mid-engined applications (like on the Gertag link as provided by Brett McCall). Additionally, some feedback (issues, problems, limitations, suitability of ratio's, etc) from those that are running any of these transaxles would be very helpful. The one variable in all this is; *reliability depends on how you drive it*. Some can ruin anything, while others can make them last forever.

Below, are some e-mails I received from the Audi racers and transmission folks:

>>Either will work well, the 016 is good for about 400hp, the 01E probably another 100hp. The 01E has been known to have 1st gear problems (resolved as of 95 with a wider first gear), the 016 weak link is 3rd gear high torque blows. Both have "issues" with small ring gear and high torque, the 01E probably better than the 016 in this respect, but cooling the diff oil is a big factor.

For a small block ford, I'd suggest the 01E since it can take the SB torque a bit better than the 016. My buddy and I installed a 016 with an LT1 into a 5000 quattro chassis, and we ate a couple ring gears in the trans (never experienced the "known" third gear problems).

G50's are pricey, but by the time you are done here, it may prove the cheapest in the long run. You shouldn't find too much difference in the O1E and 016 transmissions in terms of "adapting", in fact either should share the same bolt pattern at the bellhousing, and flywheels are interchangeable, the main differences are in the travel of the clutch/TOB and flywheel thickness.<<

This is from Audi Fans forum:

>>From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:19:17 EST

Ok, this and some on the HP/torque discussion. I really doubt that you can
overkill the 016 TQ transmission any more than the O1E transmission in
actuality. First, the 016TQ is good for about 400 turbo HP, then it tends to
blow out 3rd gear (which is really a torque problem, cuz max torque on turbo
cars tends to happen in 3rd). With 350 ft/lb+ of torque (Bob's LT1Q
specifically) it will rip the front ring and pinion (before 3rd gear), I
still have that trans in my shop. The front ring and pinion was also a
Group B rally car problem as well, btw. The 01E will "supposedly" handle
more turbo HP ("The World According to Kluge"), but I doubt we are talking
huge amounts for a couple reasons. First, the front ring and pinion is the
same size O1E vs 016. Second, the O1E is a torsen based transmission, and
that university special found in the audi transmissions is only good for
400hp as well (then the basket busts apart). As the shape of the tail
housing has changed in the 01E, I don't see how you'd easily change out the
torsen for a locker either. Bob, you put that O1E into a smaller car, the
shock loads will increase (as the chances of lifting wheels does as well),
bye bye torsen. Will it fit an Urq? Sure it will, not sure why you'd want
to... FYI a v8 5spd will fit the urq as well, there's one of those running
in TX.

I personally know very few (like short a handful) that have blown up the
016TQ transmission, whatever the rumor, I know of a LOT of 01E failures -
including the wider first models (contrary to the highly regarded opinions of
Kluge hisself, it may be a chassis problem, it may be that he considers the
torsen not part of the "transmission"). I do give credence to the turbo HP
vs torque argument presented. Turbo cars tend to be better on transmissions
because turbos, no matter how fast, ramps up maximum torque/hp between gears,
whereas a LT1 for instance, has 90% of that massively tweeked I5 torque as
soon as you crack the throttle.

So Bob P, blow up your 016TQ FIRST, then go after the transmission. In my 12
years of quattro experience, my gut tells me blowing up 016's is a bragging
right, not a preemptive strike problem. And "as" a preemptive strike
problem, I'd beef up the 016 (hardened 3rd gear, hardened R&P) ala SMS before
I'd go after the O1E as a "solution". IOW, celebrate/brag about the problem
first.

HTH and my .02

Scott Justusson
QSHIPQ Performance Tuning
Chicago
Team LT1Q kibitzer
016's aplenty<<

Hope this helps,

Andy

Just thought I'd let everyon know, I've decided on the G50/52 Trans. Another fellow I know with a similar HP motor recommended it highly.

Keith

Still confused about all the different gearboxes mentioned.
Brett said that Ultima use the Getrag from Porsche Boxster S, but the pictures of one for sale
Boxster S on ebay
do not look like the ones lined up at Ultima
Ultima Getrags
or the one Julian West photographed on the Ultima Stand
and not like an 01E
O1E box
The ones at Ultima appear to look like the Type 450 pictured on Getrags website
Getrag page

I spoke to Ultima who have told me the Getrag box they use is from the 996 (but didn't say which 996), but that is not listed on Getrags website, or is 996 just latest incarnation of 911, hence why the Ultima ones look so similar to the Type 450, listed as for 911. Ultima also told me that this is invertable (like Julian saw) just like the G50 (their other option) using same mountings but different brackets.
Reference previous info from Brett, Mark, Julian et al. there is obviously still much confusion (well I have much confusion anyway) about which box is which. Does the Getrag Type 815 mean the same thing as the Audi 01E. Is the Porsche G60 the same as Getrag Type 256 or 448 or 450 ???
Has anyone a proper breakdown of the translations between Porsche numbers, Audi numbers and Getrag numbers?

If the Getrag Porsche box (996/ G60/ Type 450?) is invertable, is the Getrag Audi box (A8/ O1E/ Type 815?) also invertable

Picture of Boxster S box on ebay

Attachments

• 21609-boxster S.jpg
    21609-boxster S.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,917
Lee,
If it is the transmission out of the 996 then if you buy it off Porsche... it would be cheaper to buy a Quaife unit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. These have also been installed in Ultimas. What I do know however is that as said previously Porsche prices are horrific.. I asked one day at a dealership in Hertfordshire (the one up the road from Dave Champ), they wanted £11.5K +VAT for a Turbo box, but said I could have £1K if I wanted locking diffs!

NFAuto will sell you a getrag box for £3.5K+Vat they quoted last year... but the Ultima site used to be priced at this, but has gone up closer to Porsche prices, I've just seen! This would make Quaife a better option, if you are someone who is prepared to give Ultima that kind of money. ANy way I am rambling, its time to go home and the garage is calling.

Have a great Bank Holiday W/E

Brett

Back