GTD GT40 for sale in autoweek

Looks like a nice example.
White with blue stripes, CD, AC, leather, 5pt belts, Smith gauges, 360hp.
Located in Maine.

GTD is essentially a CAV, correct?

CAV is a GTD (with some mods) built under license in South Africa by Cape Ann Vehicles. This may be the car that has been at the Yankee Candle Museum, which if I understand it correctly, is closing down to make more retail space.What a shame!

Does it list a price? What is the telephone number. My Autoweek sub has expired and keep forgetting to renew. Thanks. cb

Ron Earp

Admin
Whoa! That is high based on the limited info I have. Some recent ERA's have not gone for that much.

Ron

G

Ron,

I agree, especially when you consider what you can get the new CAV monocoque car for.

TT

G

And when you consider a UK chap is selling his car on this site for a good value £21,500 say $35,000. That leaves you US boys many $$$$ to build your own complying to US rules engine. Not knocking the quality of what is available out there, but to me the best way to own a 40 is do what Julian West did and buy a registered completed car and then take to peices and rebuild with your own choice of upgrades. Quids in!

Malcolm

PS $90,000 = £62,000 Absolutely outrageous price!

G

This sounds like a car that was for sale in the mid atlantic states about 3 years ago. The fellows name was King and he lived in Virginia. At the time, he was asking around $62K for the car and advertised that he had spent $10K on the paint job. It was a very dark blue, almost black, with white stipes.
GT40-gking-va.jpg

[ June 11, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Ron Earp

Admin
There is a fellow named King on the forum that lives in Virginia. He posts from time to time and has had or is looking for a GT40. Could be the same?

Ron

Hi Guys, Just to keep you informed of what happens over here, The GTD40 that Malcolm mentioned has now been sold. I was advising a client who was trying to buy it. It's True the easiest way to get a GT40 is to buy a completed one, and rework it to your own choice. However, It is not all your own work, it may be an older car with very standard parts that will all need changing to bring the car up to date. Soem of the earlier GTD's had very marginal brakes, clutches and flywheels. These have mainly been upgraded by owners who have experienced problems. There are a few still out there that need work though. If you cannot afford a GT40 complete in one hit, We offer a Body & chassis package as a starter package. This encompasses all my latest upgrade parts and compliant SVA items also. So if you wnat to get going with the least amount of cost, this is another option.

All the very best

Mark

The Virginia car was offered at $55,000 cash sale. Left hand drive, new paint ($10K!?) no air. I have pictures of it and looks like it. cb

Back