Papers for the Mk. IV

Yes... I agree. However, I do not need to do the development. So, the only major difficulty is dealing with the unique construction of the car. I did hear that someone had built one, in the late 80's... but I'm uncertain about that. I have access
to a fully equipped machine shop, CnC, etc.
However, if I cannot find the plans for this,
I may build a Mk. II, which should be comparatively easy, with the large number of kits and other info around. Unfortunately just pics and the normal statistics are very difficult to build a car from. Does anyone know if one of the museums with one on display would allow me to take measurements?

thank you
-Ryan

Dan Gurney's GT40 (MKIV?! red with white stripes #1) was at this years Amelia Island FL concours along with Dan Gurney himself and Pete Brock. Also has his Cobra Daytona (got boh of their auto graphs) Car was featured on the programs and tickets-I'll try to find my program to see where the car was from. cb

Ron Earp

Admin
ZeroGT,

I'm sure you can pull it off, that is no question. And, it might not cost as much as you might think. Sure, if you are going to buy it or have the labor done for you it'd a fortune, but if you can get plans and your labor is zero it should be feasible. Heck, many of the high-tech fabrication procedures of that day have become common place for many race teams today, where skilled craftsmen are performing them on a daily basis.

Key will be to get plans, info, blueprints. And, as far as measurement goes MK -IV J6 has one - so that is a good place to start as he has replied to the thread.

However, just my opinion, the MKII is a much better looking car, particularily for something that will see street use. Good luck and I hope some folks on the forum will help you out.

R

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Does anyone know of any blueprints, technical
drawings, part numbers and the like for
the Mk. IV? I would like to build one, and
I'm presently unaware of any kit for it.

Any possible sources for information are also
greatly appreciated

Thank you
-Ryan

If you search the forum you'll find info and pic's. Because of the uniqueness of the MK-IV IMHO the cost and difficulty of such an undertaking could be staggering. It cost Ford $12 Million in 1967 to develop and produce 8 of them!

In Engineer To Win Carrol Smith discusses the unique manufacturing, maintenance and repair problems posed by the honeycomb aluminum structure of the J cars, and opines that after all the necessary reinforcing at stress points, the honeycomb structure yielded only a small advantage in weight savings. Therefore, I would imagine a well-designed space frame constructed of 2160 tubing and fitted with fiberglass or even carbon fiber body panels and one of Shelby's aluminum-block 427s would be a complete beast and probably even weigh less than the original. This would be a very significant undertaking though. My guess is that a properly-executed copy would cost you something in the neighborhood of $500,000.

As far as aesthetics, I'll disagree with Ron and state that, in my opinion, the most beautiful GT40s were, in descending order:

Mk I
Mk IV
Mk III
Mk II

Highly subjective, I know, but I still think the Mk IV is a gorgeous car.
smile.gif

Out of curiosity, Jim, can you tell me how much J6 weighs in street trim?

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: Mark Worthington ]

I think a monocoque MK IV would be way cool.
We have seen several dfferent people make very credible one-of a kind mono chassis for
"reasonable" cost. For a little more authenticity an aluminum mono could be done,
but of course it wouldn't exactly replicate
the honeycomb, which is really unique.

I'd say the toughest part would be to convince one of the MK IV owners to let
someone measure their body. Most people who own exotics do NOT want replicas made of their pride and joy.

Then you have to deal with the cost of the molds, which unless you have a friend in the business, will run $ 100k or more.

Good luck!

MikeDD

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Most people who own exotics don't want a copy made of their car...good point. There's another issue as well: many people don't realize that the front and rear clips of a GT40 contain several fiberglass moldings which have to fit together and make a usable large part that fits the car. It is not as simple as splashing a mold off the outside surface of a complete car. On the GT40 body I had built, the longest part of the process was in getting all the moldings glasses together and finished so they fit each other. AND, they haven't been fit to the chassis yet.
I like the look of the Mark IV car as well, although it would be a little harder to get two people into. After that, the Mark III, and then the Mark II, which is the meanest looking one, no question, but kind of cluttered with all those scoops etc. Mind you, I wouldn't turn down a chance to ride/drive in one.
grin.gif

Back