Christie's Auction

Christie\'s Auction

Later this month, Christie's of London will be auctioning what is purported to be the last original GT40 MKI. The chassis and many parts were found in storage in 1972. from what I can gather, the car is being sold by Jack Barclay Showrooms, of London. The deadline for the auction is Jan 27th. The auction, I believe, is in March.
There is not much detail on the level of completion, however most all parts necessary for completion are supposedly included. The expected sale price at auction is 170,000-200,000 Pounds Sterling. No mention of any reserve.
If anyone finds more details on this car, please post them.
Get your check book out boys! This could be
a chance to own a "brand new" original GT40, which is kinda hard to come by these days!

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Re: Christie\'s Auction

Christie's will be auctioning a ****NEW, ORIGINAL,UNASSEMBLED GT40**** (GT40P 1087?),
on March 24th,2003, at Jack Barclay's Showroom(Bentley dealership),King Street, London.
It surely would make a nice belated Christmas present for someone. Any takers?
It certainly would be a better buy than some of the other GT40's that have been for sale in pieces for outrageous sums of money!

Any more details ?
"1087" was assembled a few years ago.
wink.gif

Marco,

I was just guessing at the last chassis number to officially be issued.
No further details were available, but Jack Barclay's Showroom or Christie's might be able to shed some light on exactly what they have for sale. Who knows, as many of the 40's up for auction lately, haven't sold. Perhaps this one will go cheaply(relatively speaking).
I found the info on Christie's website.
Perhaps someone, a bit more local than myself, can find out some more details, stage of construction,condition, included parts, etc., maybe even chassis number.

Bill

I'm round the corner from the sale showroom but cannot find the car details on the christie's site - can you post the www

Josvdp,

Go to Christie's site, search auction dates,
look for March 24th automobilia auction, Jack Barclay's Showroom. Auction will be at 6PM. For particulars on the car, go to selling, then consignments, then vintage motorcars. The GT40 is listed as one of the highlights of the auction. I guess so!
Further info @ Tel# +44 (0) 2078 39 9060
If you decide to bid, best of luck!
Please let everyone know what you can find out about the car. Thanks!
By the way, if you are forunate enough to buy the car, I WANT A RIDE!

Bill

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Mark DOnaldson at Christie's advises :

FORD GT40
The last 'unbuilt' GT40 known in existence
Chassis: P1112

Nearly all components are there to finish the car including a donor engine
(with Webber 48 IDA carbs and competition baffled sump) correct original
GT40 gearbox and most gauges. The main components required are a wiring loom
and interior fittings.

This is therefore one of the unbuilt batch refferred to in Ronnie Spain's book as being allocated by Willment - anyone advise further ?

This Mk1 is built on a MK111 chassis, The MK111 had no tunnel. It cannot be valued in the £170,000 plus bracket IMHO.
I also understand that the owner has fabricated some of the parts himself not factory supplied.
I would say that this particular car is worth between £100,000 to £125,000 if it makes any more than that then the new owner must be crazy.

Regards
Chris

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

He (the owner) may have waited a little too long to sell it, it might have done better in the '90s. I agree with Chris and Jim, it's a 'bitsa', and even if everything fits together, it's still an assembly. If it sells, there may be some interesting commentary in SCM on it- maybe even if it doesn't sell.

Interesting reading.
Any serious enquiries are welcomed by telephone should anyone wish to call me and I would be happy to discuss the precise details of this particular car.

+44 207 389 2396

Auction date is 24th March 2003

M Donaldson,

Welcome to the forum. It'd be great if you could keep us all informed when GT40's do come across the auction block.

Again, welcome.

Have fun!

John

Indeed the car is advertised on www.mobile.de

In order to advertise cars on this website an asking price has to be noted - hence I entered £170,000GBP (as this is the low estimate). The website is extremely well executed and calculates the latest Euro equivalent as a guide.

If the description is read it states;

Description:
To be offered at Auction by Christie's on March 24th 2003. Estimate £170-200,000GBP. Please call or e- mail for more information and note the estimate does not include buyers premium.

A link to this advert is;
http://uk.mobile.de/cgi-bin/search.pl?CountOff=1&DataNr=0&DisplayDetail=11111111117893004&DoSearch=1&FormCategory=0&FormColor=%2e%2e%2ebeliebig&FormDate=0&FormEZ=%2d&FormKilometer= %2d&FormLand=GB&FormMake=16&FormModel=gt40&FormPlace=%2d&FormPower=%2d&FormPrice=%2d&FormSort=0&Page=0&SearchCat=bereich%3dpkw%26sprache%3d2&bereich=pkw&sprache=2&x=52&y=7

I hope this makes it clear and furthermore the buyers premium Christie's charges is 17.5% of the hammer price on each lot up to and including £70,000 GBP plus 10% of any amount in excess of £70,000 GBP.

Mark
The good thing about all of this as my friend Mark (Donohue) used to say: "When the flag drops the bullshit stops."
IMHO your low estimate is over 100 GPS. high.
But as you of all people know stranger things have happened.
Best
Jim

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

Presumably this car has no UK registration number so it will need an SVA test, and then, as it seems from the catalogue description that some of the parts are second hand, that will qualify it nicely for a Q plate!!

Can you imagine spending all that money and ending up with a Q plate??

Back