Fran Hall GT 40?

OK,

I'm a total newbie to this group. And I am (sacrilege to many of you) a GM owner for years. I have 2 Corvettes and a Boss Hoss V8 motorcycle (which I plan to break 9 seconds in the quarter mile on the dyno drags in Daytona next week on an 1150 pound bike I ride to work most days).

But, I am a certified (maybe certifiable) motor vehicle nut, which Ron Earp can verify. Looking to maybe add a Cobra, but the GT40 is really interesting to me. Have been just looking for a while on the web site, very good detailed site.

With my job, I don't have time to build (Ron, the faculty at NC State are just too demanding) so need turnkey. Plus, can only get so much into my garage.

Don't mind swapping out engine, I've always driven a V8. NO AUTOMATICS.

Fran, can you send me some details on your V6? Also, I am not familiar with Ford V8's. Sure, I am aware of the 302 and 351 but not the big blocks. If I were to do this, what would I want for an engine in a reliable street legal GT40? No nitrous, methanol, jet fuel, etc. Needs to run on 92 or 93 pump gas. Looking for 350-400 horse.

Just looking for info. to get started in my search.

Thanks much.

Steve H. Barr

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Steve,

Nice to see you here! You should come by sometime and take a look at the 40, it will give you a real idea of perspective. Also for fit too, I've got it to the point where you can basically "try it out".

I agree with the building. My job requires too much travel for me to effectively build, but still I peck away. And I know you don't have the time either - I basically haven't had a wife for five years (probably good, she doesn't miss me when I travel) since she works all the time on paper after paper, so I can understand you'd rather drive. The job requires a lot I know.

Keep in mind ALL of the companies can build you turnkeys. And, there are second-hand cars for sale which is a nice option. As for power, what you are asking for is easily obtained from a Ford SB. In fact, more is also easily had and even at the levels you are speaking of, in a 2200 lb car the Vette will seem tame. The Hoss will still impress though!
wink.gif

I'm around all weekend and free if you'd like to come over, I'd love to have you visit. Take care,

Ron

[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

G

Steve, I am up in North Raleigh and am getting pretty close to the end of my build. (Ron and I are trying to leverage our 2 cars to get a good, reasonable paint shop at the moment). I also am on the road a lot, but when I am not, I work out of the house and am usually doing something on the car when I am not working. I would be happy to have you over to take a look at how I have configured this, my first component car. Ron may have told you that I am using a fairly stock EFI 5.0L. With very few changes it could easily give you the kind of power you are looking for. Between my car and Ron's you will get a pretty good idea of the range of options that can be used.

Hi Ron and Lynn,

Looks like I got lucky, 2 GT40s in the area. Will check with both of you in a couple of weeks, I am off to Bike Week tomorrow. Hey Ron, break that bike out of the garage and come on down to Daytona, we have plenty of room.

Fran has a deposit on his GT40, I'm a little late on that as an option. Still, absolutely no hurry.

Thanks much.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Steve,

Let me get this right - you have room for bikes going to Daytona? Surely, I mean I don't even want to suggest this 'cause I know it isn't true, you aren't going to trailer the bikes to Daytona are you? Noooo, can't be. Seems I remember when I was younger and went often the only way I ever got there was to ride my cycle down there on the highway.

I'd love to go, but, I've got no bikes. I sold all of them last year. So, I suppose I should shut my trap. Have a good trip and come by anytime when you get back,

Ron

Back