Knock off conversion, need sectional drawing

G

Is there anybody here who built is own knock-off adaptors (for a GTD)?

I'd be very interested if someone could send me a draw with dimensions, where rims could be found after that ?

Thanks
Fred
confused.gif

Fred, There are several sources that manufacture pin drive wheel adapters for GTD. GTD Racing makes them as well as Frank Catt I am sure. Unless you are a very talented engineer and machinist, I would not advise doing this by yourself, besides they are not terribly expensive to begin with.
The 6 Pin drive wheels are available from a variety of sources, PS Engineering does a very high quality BRM or Halibrand style. I think RF will make them for you also. I have seen Roberts wheels close up and they are gorgeous.
Brian

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Brian ]

Hi Fred,
I use Ray Christopher's knock on complete hubs at front with his racing uprights and peg drive adaptors at the rear with his aluminium uprights. Had to shim up the wheel bearings in the rears to get the correct preload though.My wheel centres were specially made 17" copy of BRM's then machined to fit peg drive and to take a 17" Image rim bolted in from the rear. All works fine. Talk to Ray Christopher.

Which is preferable, 5, or 6 pin adaptors?

5 studs line up nicely with the original stud drillings on the hub, whereas 6 holes over 5 leaves a 'siamese' hole??

Brian Magee

Supporter
I have adaptors on my car supplied by Ken Saunders,(I don't think he does them any more). They are five pin because they use special nuts to hold the adaptor to the Ford hub and double up as the drive pins. The special wheel centres had to be drilled to suit.

If you are using one-piece hubs then six pin are more usual as most pin drive wheels are six pin.

Also if you use BRM six spoked wheels, then there is less chance of a drive hole braking out through the wheel centre.

Brian.

G

I am trying to remember which GTD40 Club magazine the diagram you wanted is in, but it was printed by Ray. Privately email me a fax number and I can try and find it for you. Ray's adapters are I think about £125 each and come with fixing bolts. You need to check with him though. Others do one peice replacements, ie not bolt on adapters. With the age of your car, Fred, that route might be more difficult to get right without re-engineering. It depends on what stub axles you have.

Malcolm

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
PS Engineering uses Trigo 5 lug adapters. They run about US$900 a set with spinners and lugs. PS Engineering only offers 15" BRMs. They do have a Halibrand-type wheel in 15/16/17 inch versions.

Sep23_014.jpg

Trigo Wheels Website

G

Brian,
Have been trying to reply to your mail but keeps on being returned.I run on 15" BRMs supplied by PS. Brilliant. I hammer my 40 really hard and have never had a single problem or a spinner loosen.
Regards,
GTA Racing.

Thanks GTA, I hope to here from P & S soon, and we may have quite an order for them if they ever pick up the phone. My MSN email account frequently goes on the blink as Malcolm and I get occasionally cut off for several days, what is more aggrevating is that I don't get failure notifications and our dialogue gets all out of sorts with missing messages, then it's "did you get this or this?".
Brian

I am waiting for a return call from P S Engineering today regarding wheel sizes and fitments (for my GTD with Ray Christopher pin drive adapters). When I hear back from him, I will post details regarding what I learn.
Brian

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Keep after Phil Schmidt - AKA PS Engineering. He's a tough cookie to get a hold of. Try mornings. His work is excellent! Just don't ask him about Lola T70s, he's a true enthusiast.

Sep23_013.jpg

G

When you look to the first pic posted by nealwe can see that the knock-off adaptor is really easy to machine !
Just need to now the dimensions, the steel type and the specific thermal treament.
I am working in a company which is able to do that !
I confirm neal, your wheels are beautiful !

MWGT40

Supporter
Does anybody know the weight of the BRM knock-on wheels manufactured by PS Engineering? Do they manufacture light weight wheels?

G

Martin

The PS BRM is about the ligthest wheel you can get. Much much lighter than the Brian Pepper versions and also any one peice cast Halibrand. Unless of course you get the Charrington magnesium jobs!

Malcolm

Neal, do you have any idea what the cost of a set of 15" BRMs, with adapters, spinners, etc. would run from PS? Also, do you have a phone number for them? I have searched the Net but can't find any contact info--

Thanks!

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
PS Engineering - Phil Schmidt (310) 534-4477 Try mornings or lunch as once he is on the shop he it tough to reach.

The full setup runs $2400-2600 depending on the finish. Alternatively you can purchase the adapters from Trigo and wheels from Phil. He only has 15" BRMS.

He offers a variety of vintage styles including Halibrand GT40 and Cobra, Lola, McLaren, etc. All are custom made to your specs. Workmanship is second to none.

Thank you, Neal. I want to switch from the Compomotives currently on my car to BRM's ultimately, although I'm not in a position to do so yet. I'm gathering all the info I can and appreciate your response--

While on this topic, can anyone share what the correct widths and offsets would be for a set of the PS wheels with adaptors? I am a newbie to the GT40 stuff so I have no idea--

Thanks!

Hi all,

Mention was made of the wheel centres being bolted from the rear (to disguise the fact that they are 2 - 3 piece wheels?).

Can anyone describe how this is done? I am nearly at the point of having BRM centre copies cast up, but am terrified that simply bolting the rims to the centre from the rear, rather than through bolting ( which looks terrible and unoriginal) may be a recipe for disaster, even if the studs are helicoiled into the centre.

Your comments appreciated.

ccnull

Back