DIY EFI

Hi All
During the winter I've successfully converted my old Porsche 928 '82 from the mechanical Kjetronic to the electronic MegaSquirt. It's been running for two months now with only small tweeks to the system. I have an Electromotive TECII in my '70 Corvette and I think the MegaSquirt is just as good but it has a better user interface. Mind you I have only used the DOS interface on the TEC II.
On my forty though I will use the Electromotive unit because it has the ignition bit integrated with 4 coils and a 64 point ignition table.
Klick on my homepage symbol on top and read more about it.
cool.gif

The efi332 as far as i can tell will let you run as many coils as you want but you would need to add more drivers for it. They already have driver boards for 8 coils and 8 injecters, might be fun.
Did you have the circuit board made or do it yourself?? What is the software like, is it in laymen terms or computer words, (efi words i can handle)

Eric
I'm sorry that the conversion story on my homepage is not available in english yet. I'll translate it as soon as I can.
We are three friend that have made this reality. We've made the circuit board I'm currently running ourselves, but we are looking to have them made professionally. You just cannot get the same high quality when you make the pcb's yourself. Especially if you want to have it in the harsh environment of you car. We have had 'experts' looking at our pcb and they say it's perfectly acceptable.
I have to admit that we had to make some design improvments before the final layout.
Initially we had lots of problems programming the cpu, we had to build a programmer according to Motorola's specifications. Voltage levels are incredibly cruicial. This was probably the hardest part, but once you've got it programmed it's pretty straigh forward. The user interface are in efi terms only.
It would lie if I said it was easy (especially the electronics) but I think it was worth it. I will do it all over again with the Covette.

I noticed the megasquirt people are making an ignition controller called megajolt to control a ford wasted spark system but eventually do everything and it can work in conjunction with the megasquirt. I like the megasquirt because they make it understandableish for someone like me to build it, unlike the efi-332, i look at their how-to site and cant figure out what language they are speaking, it looks like english.

I luv stuff like this ! Hot rodding at its best. This is the wave of the future. Soon the younger generations will be making more systems like this and the cost of the other manufactured units will drop in price. It's kinda like the desk top computer, you can still build one yourself for less than half of a store bought one.
Here is another example of DIY. These guys are from Australia, and down under you better know how to improvise as they don't have access to all the neat stuff we do. http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/default.htm

Hersh
smile.gif

I've posted some pictures of the conversion to MegaSquirt of my Porsche. It's only the mechanical part. Thats because I ran out of space on may webpage!
mad.gif
I will have to ask them for some more MegaBytes!

Back