Help! on strengthening Audi tranny

G

Fellas,

I remember someone posting a description of how to strengthen an Audi (Getrag) transaxle ... but can't find it via search. Have spent hours looking.

I vaguely remember that the post was from South Africa or Australia and had to do with reenforcing the ribs in the gear section as it was prone to coming apart.

Would appreciate any help that you might offer.

thanks,

Mike, I recall that Roaring Forties was talking about offering a strengthened version of the Audi transaxle. I think the most likely failure point would be the input shaft. At a minumum, that could be shot peened and cryogenically treated. More drastic measures would be to redesign the part, and other associated parts, with different metallurgy and fewer stress raisers.

Hopefully Robert Logan or Gordon Levy will chime in and give us an update.

G

Guys,

Thanks VERY much ... the Victor Wait post is the one I was looking for. Have sent him an e-mail and am looking forward to the reply.

Can't hurt to weigh the alternatives and see what can be done to both lighten the car and the cost just a little.

Robert and Gordon,

What is the chance that the RF can be fitted
with a ZF? How much work would it require,
and will it take serious chassis mods?
I might be getting a ZF at a fairly
reasonable price, and there are bellhousings
available so I can use a standard Ford
clutch and starter.

Ian

If Victor replies could you forward that email to me? I see what part is to be modified but am unsure exactly how.
thanks

Hi guys.

Does anyone know of any bellhousing possibilities for the Audi 016 to mate to the Ford V-8? I'm wondering about the use of a "V-8 type" of bell housing somehow mated to the 016, rather than using the Audi bellhousing. Of particular interest would be the mating of a Boss 351 (Cleveland) to the 016.

Have fun!

John

PS. Hello to Marco in Sweden and Mark Clapp in the USA! You GT40 guys are awesome for your help.

The bell housing is cast as part of the transmission. You need to become very good friends with someone who can cast a new tranny housing for you. If you find someone let me know, i'll take one too.

I just read some interesting tidbits.
Apparently, the 3rd generation Panteras
and the Guara used a Getrag (6 spd in both) transaxle mated to a 302!

Now, does anyone know what transaxle this is?
The Pantera came stock 300+ HP, and the Guara
a bit more.

Ian

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: Ian K ]

Hi John. I made my own adaptor plate 1.5 inches thick to mate a 302 to Audi 016 box (cut with a water jet)It works really well.
If you need further info please contact me

Mike

G

mike... what happened to the G-50? at least that what i thought that you were using...

cheers

luis

FYI

Kennedy Engineered Products in CA now offers
the conversion stuff for SBF to Audi 016.

MikeDD

[ June 29, 2002: Message edited by: MikeDD ]

G

Mike, This is really good news for the those wishing to use the Getrag transaxle. I cannot say enough about Kennedy. They have been around as long as I have been looking at kit cars (circa 1968-9.) If these guys produce it, you can bet it is quality! My stuff for the G50 was gorgeous and the starter is amazing for CONSIDERABLY less money than a Tilton.
KEP - Kennedy Engineered Products

John, the 351C shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as other small block Fords, ie 302, 351W, etc.. The smaller 157 tooth Ford flywheel (28oz imbalance) is also a bolt on to a Cleveland crank.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I would still prefer to use a V-8 bellhousing with its clutch/pressure plate/etc. over the Audi clutch and items.

I'll look into it more but, if I have to use the Audi items and an adapter plate, I'll be satisfied. Mark Clapp has great success and longivity with his 016 set up. It's just that the V-8 clutch items are stronger.

Mike,

I'd like to learn more about your cutting on the bellhousing. Please email me at [email protected]

Have fun!

John

Hi Ian,
Roy Smarts GTD has a Renault transaxle that now has Quaife internals comprising: mainshaft, gears and an ATB differntial. It is still 5 speed and at present, retains the manual H pattern shift although Roy has designed and installed his own rod change that is very slick. He did have a ZF (new and unused from a BMW M1) which now resides in Robin Batt's 'Yellow Peril' GTD40, as Roy had rejected it mainly for reasons of ratio suitability (sprints & Hillclimbs) and weight (flipping heavy!!).

Club member Mike Inglis uses a Quaife 6-Speed sequential unit in his GTD to a 302 but they are not cheap £10K+..

You may be referring to the box that Ray Christopher uses in his new lightweight GTD40 Spyder. This is mated to a 351 and is Audi Getrag and six speed too. I may be able to obtain further details if interested. To start I have included a couple of pictures below.

AudiGetrag6Spd1.JPG

AudiGetrag6Spd2.JPG

regards

Paul Thompson
[email protected] of gtd40club
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: P Thompson ]

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Here is a link to additional Audi 01E information... This looks like Ray's transmission.

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: Neal ]

Ah yes, thanks Paul. I couldn't recall
if it was Roy Smart or Ray Christopher.
I kept going back and forth until I settled
on Roy's name (probably 'coz I just watched
the GTD videos for the umpteenth time and
had Roy's name in my brain
smile.gif
)

If you could get more info on Ray's Getrag
6 spd, I'd like to find out if it's similar
to the one used on the Panteras.

Neal, thanks for the site, some nice info
there as well.

I live in Sacramento, CA, minutes from
Rancho Cordova, a nationally reputable
place for parts of all makes and models.
Even the local Porsche dealer told me to
go there when I asked about the availability
of a G50/50. And I see all of the dismantlers
listed in the back of Car and Driver and
Road and Track. There's a large Audi place
as well.

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
That Getrag/Audi or whatever people call it is pretty much identical to the Audi box I'm using (and lots of others) in my RF GT40. I've got ratios for most of the commonly available varitions of this box with a spreadsheet indicating speed in gears with tire height etc.

Ron

Back