Transaxles - The Real Thing

G

You guys are always touting Audi, Porsche, ZF or RBT. Well if you are really an originality nut here you go:

Colotti Type 37, 0 miles from new
Condition: new old stock
Price: £3,750 GBP (approx $6,000 USD) Trades considered
Description: This is an original unused gearbox as fitted to Ford GT40, Lotus Indycars, Cooper Monaco and King Cobra.
History: This box has never been used only bench tested. It still has traces of the original green shipping paint.

colt37pa.jpg

Wow Lynn,
Now thats something you don't see very many of. From all the literature I've read, the Colotti was the bane of the first cars as it wouldn't hold up under competition conditions. I imagine it would work nicely on the street though. A bellhousing and clutch assembly to mate to a SBF might present a bit of a challenge, but not insurmountable (especially if you happened to have some old GT40 parts in the garage!) I wonder if any new parts are still available in case you would break a gear, shifting fork or ?? If not, it would tend to make you treat it gently.
Neat find!!
Dave

G

Honestly, Dave, I was being facetious. I really can't imagine anyone using one of these for a car to be driven on the street. I think we have all heard JW tell about all the problems they had with them.

Someone like Lee Holman, on the otherhand, might want to build a completely correct first edition in which this would great as a show/museum piece. I was just poking around Race Car.com and found it in their gearbox section.

Regards,

Didn't Ford at one point make their own gears for the Colotti's while waiting on the ZF's?

Every once in a while some "gem" like this surfaces.
I saw what was supposed to be an original GT40 bell housing on Ebay a year or so ago. The seller didn't know anythingabout it. It had what appeared to be a 4 bolt pattern on the transaxle end. I believe the -1 ZF's were 4 bolt but it didn't look quite like the bell housing pictured in the JWE parts book.
I'm using a -2 ZF and ERA's bellhousing, so wasn't interested in it. But, for the right person, it could have been an excellent find.

Dave

Back