Alternator Brackets

Had a little trouble finding a proper alternator adjusting bracket to fit a PowerMaster alternator (PWM-8-57100) on my 289. The standard C5AE-10145-A bracket won't work because the alternator has a bulge in the housing which prevents the hole on the alternator lug from lining up with the slot in the bracket
frown.gif
This is largely because the slotted part of the bracket is straight rather than curved. Also, it's bent to fit the back of the alternator rather than the front.

The $2.99 solution: I bought a D00E-10145-A off of ebay. This apparently is off of a 200cid 6 cylinder engine, so not a high-demand (or priced) part. This one is bent to screw in on the front side of the alternator, and it has a nice swoopy curvy slot. Only problem is it has about 1.5 inches of bend in it, and I needed about 0.75 inches. What to do
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
Sledge-o-Matic to the rescue! I flattened out the kink to what I needed it to be and it fits like a charm.
tongue.gif

Try this at your own risk with your own parts
grin.gif

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: Steve Toner ]

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: Steve Toner ]

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Steve,

Congratulations of your cunning and use of the " two pound variable adjuster with micrometer adjustment".

The problem here is that many manufacturers do not go the last mile. They is a saying that 80% of the work takes only 20% of the time and this is true. The final 20% takes a long time and the last 2% or 1% takes for EVER !!!

I have supplied parts to many customers that are TRYING to build non Roaring Forties GT40's. I must admit that I was very reluctant to supply my parts to my competitors customers but decided to supply as it was only disadvantaging in customer and not advantaging my competitors. I recently supplied a complete front of engine set for a customer in Australia who had been told to go to his local car dismanteler to get A/C pumps, alternators, pulleys, associated brackets and belts. The phrase used was "at the owners discretion" which is nothing short of a cop out to me.

I am happy to supply all customers.

Best wishes,

Robert

G

I am living proof that Robert knows what he is talking about when it comes to the 10,000, 15 minute jobs there are to finish up a car. Bye-the-way Robert, do you offer 9-hole panels or louvered only?

I also used a Powermaster, Steve, one of the big 180Amp models. If I had it to do over, I am not sure I would do it again. But, I do have plenty of juice which is needed for an EFI engine. I drew up all of my brackets and mocked them up in cardboard and had a local craftsman make them up. Being in the middle of NASCAR country sometimes has advantages.

Robert,

Don't blame the manufacturer in this case - I am deviating from the recommended setup so am on my own. I don't have a problem with that. I actually consider it to be part of the fun. Call it "research" or call it "customizing" - whatever...

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Steve,

Ownership of problems is a GREAT thing. I wish all pledged ownership as you have done.

Lynn,

We do offer the 9 hole Le Mans engine cover together with a pair of 4 hole rear covers. Gordon would be pleased to sell a set to you and I believe Ron Earp has a set that he could show you. All the holes are lazer cut and then pressed with special tools to give them the depth the originals had.

Best wishes,

Robert

I have also designed and manufactured my own alternator bracket which, I believe, looks more of a professional finish than those supplied by Motorsport outlets.
I have utilised a Bosch 70amp alternator which has a pivitol radius of 175mm. If anyone would like to purchase one contact Frank Catt. [email protected]

I can e-mail a drawing giving basic dimensions if required.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Robert Logan supplied me with a "whole of front engine" setup - Alt, A/C comp, V-belt pulleys, W/pump, belts, all brackets, etc. It all went together like a dream, & saved me many hours of hunting around for separate bits. Even though I don't have an RF, Robert has been most helpful - all in the spirit of advancing the cause of '40s.

Long live the "brotherhood" !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.
smile.gif

G

Cool, Robert, I believe that Ron has louvered panels, but I have looked at so many different ones lately, it is quite likely that I am misremembering. (I don't have full blown alzhiemers yet, just CRS.) I will definitely contact Gordon. I also need a couple of other things that I am sure Gordon would be happy to supply. Your plan to stock up the US distributor will pay dividends for you, I am sure.

Thanks a million,

G

You all may have noticed that I am building a Sabre. Sabres were built by John Donnelley in Jensen Beach, FL and he has taken some heat on the forum in the past. In John's defense, he supplied a complete "Bill of Materials" (BOM) with part numbers (both supplier and his from the CAD drawings of the car) from a limited number of suppliers. But, his BOM was for V-belt driven accessories and a carburetted SBF. Indeed all of the MK1s he built had 351s in them with standard rotation water pumps. So most of the custom work I had to do was because I departed from the formula by going with late model EFI power. He was very supportive of my decision for which I am very thankful. Anytime there was any question, John didn't mind going to great lengths to explain what and why he used certain parts or techniques. I am sure the same will be true of MK III roadster he is about to introduce. Although, I believe that the formula on this car will include a 4 barrel type EFI setup and serpentine accessory drive. John can be contacted at 561-334-9555. He is a great guy who is very knowledgeable about GT40s and has a broad background in racing having been with Jaguar and Brabham racing.

[ June 30, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

In my case, the manufacturer is CAV, and although they don't supply certain parts, they do provide a parts list of readily-available items to complete the engine. They have it down to where you only have to go to two vendors: PAW (a mail-order place) and NAPA (a nationwide auto parts chain).

In my case, I already had the triangular alternator bracket (the -10156- part), a left over from my '65 Mustang days. And, much like the guys who find a single dinosaur bone and recreate an entire skeleton around it, I looked at this bracket and said "that looks like a GT40"
smile.gif
This is what led me to try to find some other original Ford piece for the adjusting bracket. Had I gone with the alternator they recommended (or another alternator no larger than stock - AMK has some nice choices, including some that come with all the correct factory markings), there would have been no problem with the C5AE part, or their recommended parts which are the chrome OEM style brackets...

Of course, they also offer a full tunkey option and I woudl say that anyone who is not prepared to chase threads, install the occasional helicoil, or even use a sledgehammer when necessary ought to opt for the turnkey package.

I have to agree though that a manufacturer who just says to go to the junkyard and find the parts you need is kind of flaky...

Back