Engine Replacement

G

I got a GT40 off ebay for real cheap, its my project car. The engine currently in it is mostlikely not working and if it was, its only 1200cc. Im planning on puting in a 2nd hand engine. Would a front engine engine work in the gt40? or does it have to be a engine just for mid engine vechicles? Im rather new at this car building stuff, but this car will be so cool when im done.

First, what engine is in there now? A 1200cc
makes me think it is a VW based kit. If so,
fitting a V8/V12 will be difficult. But,
mid engined is the only way to go, coverting
it to front engined would be way too dificult.

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Why is this motor up for sale?

Cause they pulled it an replaced it with a Chevy or Ford V8? Maybe? I've seen a few Jags with V8 conversions, a good swap.

But I don't think I'd go the other way around. A 326 Ford or Chevy can make a lot more than 314 hp, and, while not a V12 you can bet you won't get the problems and expense of the V12.

Not to take a hard line, but I think you should consider such a swap. There are V8 adapters for VW trannies, it will be a much easier route for your to follow and filled with a lot less headaches.

Ron

Hi guys, I think the question was whether a engine designed to go up front, can be placed in the middle.

To that reply, front engines and mid engines are all pretty much interchangeable (space permiting). Its the transmission (read gear-box) that differs.

Back