Advice on the Best GT-40 replica to date

I’ve done an extensive research on the best built GT-40s (Both MKI and MKII models) currently available since I am looking to own one very soon. We all know that “the best value” is NOT necessarily the best and I am looking to find that very best. This car deserves it.

I really liked the Roaring Forties and especially a drivetrain on their cars: The Ford’s 302ci Windsor V8 tuned engine mated to an Audi transaxle with correct ratio gearbox option. They also offer a superb Eight barrel injection system w/MoTec engine management system as well as AP brakes - Six piston front calipers, four piston rear calipers.

Next is the body – ERA replicas is another well respected name in the business. They formulate their fiberglass layup toward maintaining excellent body shape rather than feather-light weight. Their front and rear body sections are hand laid using random fiberglass mat so that the paintable surface will show no cloth pattern for the life of the car. I could not find any references about cloth pattern prevention anywhere else. Is it really a problem?

Also what is the best chassis construction available for this car as well as a sport tuned suspension?

Is it possible to fit 16/17” tires on this car without a wide Wheel flairs?

What is the future maintenance schedule for this car (engine, transmission, etc.)?

Thank You.

G

To answer your question about 16-17" tires, the simple answer is yes. Many of the hard core replica people are starting to at least think about 16" tires because of the difficulty in finding 15" tires. I am considered a complete heretic by most of those devoted to originality because I have 17" wheels (and I don't have wide flares.) I went with these primarily because I wanted the maximum diameter in the rear and secondarily because of weight. There are also theories which claim performance advantages with larger wheels/lower profile tires, while I can't say this had no bearing on my choice, for my intended use of the car, it wasn't way up on the list.

As to your more general question as to which is the best, as you can see, no one wanted to tackle that one. We (most of us who have been contributing here for any length of time) have been through that question ad-nauseum. The bottom line is that the answer is too subjective: what floats my boat isn't necessarily what floats yours. Suffice it to say, the very fact that you feel the need to ask this question is music to most of our ears because just a few short years ago the choices were so few that logistics controlled the decision as much as anything. There are a lot of good replicas out there. Everyone that I have had contact with in the business is, at least, passionate about the genre. Some are better businessmen than others, some are better engineers than others, but they ALL care about what they are doing. That is not to say that some aren't good at marketing also, so one really needs to understand the spin that gets placed on certain features: if you can use a technique or material that costs less and make it sound like a technical advantage--that is a marketer's nirvana.

ERA's emphasis on the layup of the body is VERY important. If the right materials aren't used, the body (especially in high heat areas) will start to sag like an old bosom. Ever wonder why virtually all composite aircraft are painted white? Have you ever seen some of the old Fibre Fab bodies? Some build light bodies for racing, some build "road bodies." Again, what do you want/need?

Oh, the chassis question! There are pages and pages of discussions on which chassis and which material here on the forum. I suggest you put aside a week or two of evenings and do searches and read. There is some very good technical information contained here and a wide range of view points.

Since most of these cars use fairly standard production components the maintenance required is fairly typical and will depend largely on how you use the car.

I know these sound like cop out answers, but if one were to be purely objective, one probably wouldn't build a GT40. These cars are about passion and the unnatural love a person has for a car and motorsports. It has the hard headed stubborness of two old goats playing one-upmanship with one another at its core. It has the coming together of two unlikely camps like British chassis designer Lola and Holman-Moody from the foot hills of North Carolina and NASCAR. There is too much "human" in this to have a single right answer to your questions. Sorry!

PS If you have the money, buy an original or, if you want new, buy one of Lee Holman's cars. Some rate Safir's cars way up there. Beyond that, you are on your own, so-to-speak.

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

G

Frank, If you have the video of the Reunion at the Glen, you will see John Weir, himself, saying that it was the pile of goodies that Ford sent him after winning '66 & '67 that allowed him to fully develop the Mk I and win in '68 & '69. ;-)

Seriously, I just thought that the juxtaposition of Lola vs the good ole boys from North Carolina was just to dear to not include. Shelby falls somewhere in the middle and just wasn't extreme enough.

Lynn

As always, a well thought out response.
I'd like to add that in addition to the
product, one should consider the SERVICE.
For example:

* Lead time to receive the product
(Are you willing to wait a year or more?)
(Does the vendor meet delivery promises?)

* Technical support
(Does someone answer questions promptly?)
(Is a good build manual included?)

* Track record
(Will they be around should you need
parts down the road?)

As Lynn mentioned, there are a number of
kit sellers who offer excellent products,
but fall short on the service side, which
can significantly reduce satisfaction.
So as always, look before you leap.
Good luck!

MikeD

I whole heartedly agree with Lynn, have a long hard look at everything available and make your own mind up, as there are a awfull lot of "experts" out there to confuse you. Lynn, where did you read the history of the GT40? We Britishers will tell you this an entirely UK car, born and bred, it just has an American heart! Frank

Hey Frank!

Unless I am mistaken, ALL GT40 bodies were
designed in the US from day 1. They just
happened to be molded in the UK.

MikeD

G

Hey HateFerrari, I work for Tivoli and will be in Austin in a few weeks if you want to talk about it. You really aren't on your own with all the guys here on the forum. When you need help deciding on which implementation of different features fits your needs the best, don't hesitate to seek opinions here. Most have no trouble in providing an opinion and will do so with a genuine desire to help you understand the pros and cons of each approach.

I will be in Austin the last 3 days of this month and then again on 11/6. Drop me an email, if you'd like, and let me know if and/or when you'd like to talk.

Back