Spark plug gaps

G

I am getting some conflicting advice on gaps for my spark plugs. At Longleat I went to check the gaps as I felt the engine was a bit rough. The gaps were varied to say the least. I run an MSD system with a master blaster coil and an Accel electronic distributor. Nothing too fancy. Some say use a 60 thou gap and others as little as 30 thou. I reset to 40 thou but would be interested to know what gap is best. My RPM limit is 6500. Any help appreciated.

Malcolm

This one is a bit hard to answer specifically Malcolm, but I can generalise a bit.

The spark plug gap can be influenced by a number of factors maximum gas pressure in the cylinder at firing being one of them, but the more basic issue is the output voltage of the coil. This itself is influenced by the ability of the coil to fully charge before it is discharged during firing. A single V8 coil charges and discharges 4 times per engine revolution.

Plug gaps back in the good old (not) points days were often 25-30 thou. As coils got better and amplified electronic triggers took over plug gaps generally grew to 30-40 thou. I would think the setup you are talking about is likely to be in this range more likely 40 than 30 if your coil is a good one.

The later multi coil systems make life easier for the coil because each coil typically will fire once per engine revolution, so they get better outputs. My current road car has one of these system and a 60 thou plug gap.

One thing I am unsure of is the multi spark effect of the MSD. My understanding of their effect is to get the coil to fire multiple times starting at the normal firing point. I think it is possible that this could make each spark weaker due to the reduced time the coil gets to charge up. It is possible that this device reduces the gap the coil can support.

The bottom line is that my GUESS for your plug gap is 35-40 thou. The coil manufacturer may be able to help if you can find them.

Sorry I cannot be more specific than that.

Regards

John

G

Thanks John for your advice. I have just set the gap to 37 thou being a convenient feeler gauge thickness. The master blaster coil is an MSD item. The MSD control unit puts out 300 volts with the coil taking this up to about 45000 volts. It could resurrect Frankenstein! Julian runs a 4 coil system and bigger gaps and I would like one of those systems one day. I am at Goodwood this Thursday for a day out so hopefully will get a reliable day and maybe it will even be dry!

Malcolm

Back