LSD

Anybody heard of any problems with the Phantom Grip LSD? It seems Reasonably priced.
grin.gif
Phantom Grip

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I was looking for an cost effective alternative to the Quaife unit. It's a bit of an experiment. I did speak with two local autocrossers that used it and they had nothing but good things to say. One have over 40k miles on his unit. I used their Porsche 924/944 unit. No road time yet. Hopefully in the spring. I'll report my results then.

Howard Jones

Supporter
New information on phantomgrip LSD. I sent them a e-mail about doing a renaut R21T gearbox and they said that it would be $350 and one week turnaround. I am going to call them tommorow and get some more info. Watch this space.

Howard Jones

Supporter
OK I called them up, Phantom grip 561-965-5772, and they are in Flordia. The cost is just under $350 installed. You ship your differential, out of the tranaxle, to them and they mod it install the LSD unit and ship it back. I asked if it could take 400hp and 400flb and she said that was well below what some of their customers were putting thur them drag racing and autocrossing. Seams like something to look into further, this is well below the cost of a quafe. Anyone have one of these in their car? I asked about a renaut R21T for my GTD and she said they could do it. The audi 016 is also listed on their website as one of their aplications. This is the one that the RF use right? www.phantomgrip.com

[ March 29, 2003: Message edited by: Howard Jones ]

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I believe RF offers the Quaife torque biasing unit. Perhaps Robert or Gordon can clarify.

Phantom Grip is similar to a friction/clutch type LSD in that if applies pressure to the drive spiders to equalize their speed.

Audi before...

Oct13_0140.jpg

After...
Oct13_0170.jpg

[ March 29, 2003: Message edited by: Neal ]

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
The LSD we offer is a Automatic Torque Biasing (ATB) diff as designed by Quaife. The other style is a Salisbury Style diff which uses the clutch and cone arrangement. The ATB is the unit that requires little or no maintainance and I believe is best suited for motorsport applications. They are expensive to manufacture and this is the reason that they are expensive.

The Salisbury diff was the prefered choise for racing up to 10 years ago and performed wery well. I do not think that using this style of diff would be unsatisfactory but remember that clutches slip especially with huge horsepower.

Best wishes,

Robert

Howard Jones

Supporter
Neal So how does it work for you? What kind of power are you using in your car? Do you drive like it's your money of just hammer it. Just would like some idea how it has worked out for you and what you use the car for? Track days, Sunday cruser, Drags on Friday night? Thanks I'm gonna upgrade my Renault sooner or later and am trying to sort ot the options.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Unfortunately I can't comment yet as my car isn't on the road. I'll let you know in a few months. I be sure to fully exercise it
shocked.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
Neal, Thanks, I should have reviewed the posts above and I would have seen that you are not on the road yet. I will not be doing the gearbox up grade of a while anyway so we will check on your progress later.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I have almost 150 road miles now and my initial impressions are positive. This torque bias seems instantaneous. Up hill off-camber turns that allow one side to unweight result in little or no wheel spin. The car tracks well under hard straight line acceleration. I hope to autocross and lap the car shortly which will hopefully give a better overall impression. Unfortunately my Dunlop GTs look period but don't stick. I'm looking into a set of 16/17 inch tires for track days. That will be a better indication of performance.

On another note, I'm hoping to work with MitchD on his 3.17 016 project and test the new R&P with a Quaife LSD. It should be a good comparison of the two LSD options.

Ron Earp

Admin
If you've got 15" or 16" wheels get a set of Hoosier Race (DOT legal) tires - they will stick like you won't believe. There are Autocross versions that don't need so much warm up, then road race versions as well. And, in 16" you can get a 275/50/16 tire that is quite large and looks very good. 15" has some big ones too, but I cannot remember the size.

Back