Possibly a new trans option...

A month or so ago while at the race track I met a fellow there who built and repaired race car transmissions. The trans that he sells is used on a open wheel formula Renault
car. I'm not sure what the proper class name is that they run in. Anyway, the trans looked awfully good to me so I talked to the fellow named John Grubb. He was very knowledgeable and told me about the trans. It seems to have been made by Renault just for this type of racing. They are six speeds with sequencial shifter. He assured me that his trans could handle an excess of 500HP. I was most impressed with the cost at $10,200 including the sequencial shifters. There was also a selection of six different gear sets for this box.
I have not followed up any further about this trans as far as fitting measurements but it does look like it should work. Here is the web site. There is lots of info here but I didn't see anything pertaining to this peticular trans. If you have an interest then you will have to call them.
This just another possibility that I thought would be good for us to know about. Perhaps one of you more knowledgeable members will call and get the technicals for fitting it to a GT. http://jandjracingltd.com/

Hersh
smile.gif

I just spoke to mike he can still get them and fix them. I know one of you guys will know if it will work in our cars I have a Renault in mine now

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
This is a race gearbox and although it might handle 500HP (personally I would want to see some real World examples) which as a straight cut gear, dog engagement race transmission is designed to be torn down and inspected after every race with gears frequently replaced. That is somewhat different than your street derived transaxle behind 500HP every day of the week.

What is your driver toward this particular transaxle, unless you are building a track only car? Price wise you can get a rebuilt ZF or Porsche G50 for the same money.

Julian

I just got my gt40 and I found the gear shifting very sloppy. I will be driving soon once the weather clears. I have watched lots of vids and the shifting appears very tight and smooth. I like to plan ahead , if I don't like it this summer I want my part plan ready to go for the winter. I want a good street driver. I have a Renault with cable now. I am looking for the wisdom to make the best change if needed.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Check that the slop is not in the shifting mechanism and cables themselves rather than the actual gearbox. What size cables is it using?

Julian

Back