351 stroker and 427 engine weights...

The 351 stroker consists of a Dart 351W block (9.5”), with aluminum heads, intake, water pump, 4340 4” crank, 4340 rods, steel GT40 style pan. It is pictured here as weighed:
dart427_1.jpg

The 427 stroker consists of a cast iron 427 block, 428 crank, Le Mans rods, aluminum intake and throttle bodies, aluminum dove heads, aluminum water pump, and steel Canton RR pan. It is picture here as weighed:
427-2.jpg

Ready for the results:

351 stroker = 467 lbs.
427 stroker = 503 lbs.

Not quite the 150 lbs or 2/3 the weight figures that get mentioned. I know the Dart block is heavier then the standard block (less then 25 lbs), but by the time you add a girdle to the stock block… The main differences are the Dart engine does not have the alternator, brackets and pulleys mounted (FE does). Dart engine does not have carb mounted, or plug wires (FE is complete). FE weight does not include stand, Dart does. Bottom line is that the Dart engine when completely configured and subtracting the stand weight will be less then 30 lbs lighter then the FE.

Both engine configurations are briefly discussed on my website.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Gary Gibbs ]

I have an article that quotes 580 lbs for an iron head 427, which sounds in line
with the weight you have for an ally head FE motor. Those heads are DARN heavy!!

What's interesting is so many 427 Cobra
replicas run Windsors instead of FE's. You'll hear them quote weight
as a big reason they run the Windsor,
but 90% of time the real reason is COST!

Gary, what would it cost to duplicate
that 427 as shown?

MikeD

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: MikeDD ]

Back