anyone here ever slap on a turbo/ supercharger?

I'm in the wishing/ planning phase right now. I was just wondering if anyone has used a turbo or a supercharger. Maybe a paxson novi 2000 on an EFI 5.0.
confused.gif

I don't think there's enough clearance between the front of the engine and the bulkhead to allow a centrifugal blower, and most roots blowers would be too tall. There is a ~600 hp twin turbo (Rover) V8 in the UK and I've heard stories of a TT GT40 roaming Australia. Heat management and gearbox longevity are big issues, along with fitment and plumbing.

Hi,

Just a reminder of what 630BHP looks like:

Tony40.JPG

In Tony Marsh's twin turbo - GTD MkII.
Tony is also 6 times national hill-climb champion (although not in his 40!)and an ex F1 driver to boot!

I believe he is hill-climbing again this year in one of his single seaters - should be fun!

regards

Well since the Ford GT will be blown,
let's have a contest to see who's the first
to field a supercharged GT40 replica.

Winner gets an "Injection is Nice but I'd rather be Blown" Tee-shirt.

MikeD

GT40 NZ has commissioned a custom made turbo charger which is specifically designed for the GT40's characteritics so the answer is yes it can be done (and has see above) and will be available in the up coming months.

Supercharging can also be done but its very tight also currently under investigation.

Dave,
If you come up with a turbo setup at a good price that fits into the compartment w/o heat problems you will be the talk of the town. Good Luck I hope it truly happens.
Dan

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
August,

There is a twin turbo charged GT40 in Perth , Australia.

Please contact me and I will put you in touch.

Best wishes,

Robert

Looking at the picture of Tony Marsh's turbo setup it is hard to tell how the the layout would work on a 302 or a 351W. Maybe if the picture was from a side angle I could figure it out better. Anyone care to describe how one would go about putting together a turbo setup?

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: DanielD ]

Ron Earp

Admin
One easy approach would be to use Mustang shorty headers turned upside down. Cut the stock flange and weld on a mating plate for the turbos.

Some easy turbos to score in junkyards are the T03 Garrett units from lots of mid-80s OEM cars, Ford turbo coupes most commonly. Also lots of Subraus have some good ones too.

These are easy to plumb and make plenty of boost. Use an adapter off the oil filter to take some oil feeds, return in oil into the pan (don't use the valve cover as the oil coming out of the turbos is sometimes frothy).

Be easy to ru na 4bbl in a pressure box a la the old Paxton setups on early Mustangs and Tbirds. The pressure boxes are still available.

Ron

G

Guys, I was watching Hot Rod TV early this morning and they showed a roots type blower that had its input on the back. They had a shaft returning to the front of the engine (Chevy 350) for power. I have to wonder if a rear driven supercharger like this couldn't somehow be driven off of the flywheel/clutch area.

turbos

I have done several turbo jobs and if you want to get results non of it is cheap.
Twin turbo means 2 deep pockets.
(cougar you should be so lucky)

Jim

Supercharged GT40

The owner of the twin turbo GT here in Perth has taken me for a couple of rides and it is impressive, to say the least. It was featured in a magazine spread recently.

As for blown GT's, here's a photo of mine with the engine in the tub. Snug, but it all fits.

Lance

Attachments

• DSC01108 (Small).JPG
    DSC01108 (Small).JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 546
Back