Cable shifter??? Need answer ASAP

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
I am about to purchase a Porsche transaxle and was wondering how everyone likes the cable shift setup they have. All replies are appreciated as the guy with the trans is anxious to complete the deal. If the cable shift does not have a favorable approval it looks like I will have to go to a zf with a solid shifter linkage. I prefer a solid shift linkage but am unaware of anyone with a solid shift linkage and Porsche box. Thanks for the replies.

Here ya go Gregg, http://www.gt40s.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000061

Hersh
smile.gif

Gregg,

I have a G50 with cable and rod linkage.
The cable pushes/pulls the shift rod in and out. The linkage rod rotates the shifter back and forth. This setup works very well.
It is quite smooth, with a very positive feel.
In a year's time, I've only missed a gear once, albeit a good one! Ouch!
Properly setup, cables should work just fine.
Bracketry positioning and tuning may be a bit
of a challenge though.
As the G50 shift rod is on the tail of the gearbox, existing setups for Getrag and Renault most likely will not work,however people familiar with those setups may know how to fit a G50 with cable linkage.
GT40 Australia could help, if you want to go with the cable and rod setup. They are very familiar with G50's, as that's what they use in both their GT40's and Ultima's.

Bill

Gregg

Is this a center mounted shifter?
Reason I ask is I think Neal Foreman does a
rod shifter for the G-50, but it's mounted on the right hand sill.

MikeD

G

The Ultima uses the G50 with a solid rod change. Also it is on the sill side of the drivers seat and not centrally mounted. It seemed to work fine on my freinds car. It had a first forward and correct H gate pattern with the gear stick on the right hand side of the car when sitting in the drivers seat ie UK spec. How this would translate to left hand drive left hand shift I don't know. The G50 attachment for the rod system was on the rear of the box via a lever.

Malcolm

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the replies. The car is being built as right hand drive so it sounds as I may be able to do a rod shift linkage over the cable.

Mike, do you have any contact info for Neal?

Malcolm, thanks again for the advice. On my GTD suspension post you advised that you would like to buy an unmolested set of A arms. I have a virgin set which I may not be using. How soon do you need an answer?

Thanks to all who replied.

Back