Engine Loading

G

I'm sure the following has happened to some of you before but here goes anyway, just it case it hasn't but may happen later.
When it was finished and prior to going to paint the motor, a 302/347 450+ HP Stroker w/a Pantera Enterprises weber style injecton system, ran like gangbusters. But when it came out of paint some 4+ months later ii was seriously loading and/or running extremely rich. So rich in fact it would hardly idle. Since it is a closed loop system, I tended to rule out the Injection system but I did check, clean and reconnect all of the sensor connections thinking perhaps they had gotton some water in them when the paint guys cleaned up the engine compartment NO difference. Then I connected my laptop up to the Injection system CPU and determined that all of the Fuel Maps were normal. This tended to make me think that the spark plugs, with tess that 200 miles on them, were fowled (Bosch Platinum Tip at $7+ each). Sure enough, they were in horrible shape so I replaced them (I Never clean and reuse spark plugs). The result? I'm going Cobra hunting this weekend. The cause? I determined today that the car was started and moved almost every day it was in paint and, not once, were the rpms brought up nor was the motor allowed to get up to anything even approaching operating temperature. Both are cardinal sins with high performance engines. So, shouild you ever have something like this happen to you, you're not the first.
BTW As you can probably determine, my car is almost finished. All that's remaining is to get the radio, rear-looking TV system amd a Gurney Bubble installed.I'm also having a problem with the accelerator cable binding. BUT, I'M DRIVNG THE CAR NOW AND IT'S A REAL BLAST AND A ONE-CAR CAR SHOW WHERE EVER I GO. I'll be posting some pics later

Ben

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Ben Miller ]

Ben, Cobra hunting is always fun. Be careful, they tend to get you off the line but it is really fun passing them like they are parked when you hit about 160mph.
I never use platinum plugs in my engines. For some reason in a small block Ford, they just don't work. I have never seen a set last while a standard plug lasts a long time.

Ben
Tell us abot the choice of stereos , and ,,,,oh yes,,,,about the rear TV setup.
I have emailed "Very cool parts", but they're web site section is always under construction. So fill us in.
Bill

Yes, I'm also interested to hear about the rear-view TV. I've poked around on the web a little, but all the offings I've seen seem aimed at SUV-driving soccer moms who are afraid of backing over their kids.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Perhaps Steve Shedden can give us all the tips on this - he has been known to sit in the pits on a blistering day, engine idling, A/C on full blast & watching TV !! This really gets to the Cobra guys who are cooking nicely in the open air ! With the flick of a switch, Steve can check out the rear view via a pin-hole camera looking through the black dot in the centre of the rear licence plate. That is really cool, specially when he goes out & thrashes the Cobras on the track !

Over to you Steve.

Peter D.
smile.gif

Peeps if you go to http://www.clarion.co.uk then you can go and see their compact colour camera that will link into their TFT screens from there it will be a matter of wiring...

Incidentally the compact has a horizontal angle of 115deg with 40 vertical, which should be more than enough for a rear view shot.

Brett

Back