CLUTCH ADVISE FORD 302 TO RENAULT

What is the view on the best clutch (for road use) to suit a 302/21T set-up?
The engine is just short of 300hp i believe.
Also - thanks for all the advise to those who have helped on other subjects.

G

hi Keith

Try a search under clutches as this has been discussed a numebr of times already. But in short there are AP clutches out that will do the job. Even 300 bhp will burn a standard renault clutch plate after a bit stick. Roy Lane at Techcraft can supply the AP parts. If you have the uprated clutch cover you should budget on redrilling the flywheel to take the slightly different bolt pattern. Again Roy can do that.

Hope this helps

Malcolm

G

No, the flywheel is not a standard 302 one but an Essex V6 flywheel I beleive. It is part of the standard GTD set up. If you are starting from scratch then the Tornado cast bell housing will allow you to run standard ford 302 items which has its benefits. But if you already have the adapter plate and flywheel etc then it is cheaper to stick with the renault based set up and buy strong components which are now truly tried and tested. Depends on where you are in your build.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm,
I am right at the beginning of the build of an old KVA, which has absolutely nothing done to it... currently having to address the one eyed monkey issue with the suspension
grin.gif

Try a "Centreforce Clutch"....Checkout www.centerforce.com.

They generates up to a 90% increase in holding capacity over stock systems. The clutch/disc set is designed for use with engines producing 'high horsepower and torque' output, and any radically altered high performance street vehicle.

I'm using a 21T also, with bellhousing and input shaft from http://www.gt40parts.com/inputshaft.jpg with a centreforce clutch.

Best of luck with the project.

John

Howard Jones

Supporter
I also have a centerforce setup. I just sent them my new "stock" renaut clutch and had them mod it for " max clamping pressure". Be sure to tell them what it is going in. They know about GTD 40's and will do a good job. Mine seams to work fine with about 360Hp out of a 302. If you can get a ford bellhousing setup and you currently don't have any thing then I would go with a ford clutch flywheel, starter etc.Many parts for them. Make sure you can bolt up the adapter/bellhousing to the gearbox before you take it home. Check out http://www.bell-performance.co.uk for a good writeup on the R21T.

[ April 20, 2003: Message edited by: Howard Jones ]

I have 302 mated to a Renault 21T box producing a mild 380bhp. It is fitted with an AP Clutch , which I believe has been fittted to several other cars and works fine for both road and track.

Part Nos as follows:

Pressure Plate- CP2394-14
Driven Plate- CP2346-42 (For R21T-21 Spline)
Thrust Bearing- CP-3457-2

Hope this helps.

Paul,

Are you using the GTD adaptor plate & R30 bellhousing with the V6 flywheel or the Tornado bellhousing with a stock 302 flywheel??

What oil grade is everyone using in the Renault 21T gearbox ? I have one that I just got ,it smells like 80/90W but looks thinner and is slightly red.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Sounds like redline synthetic. I am using their 75W90NS. It flows like 75W but is the same as 90W. This is for racing gearboxs that don't have limited slip. For limited slip use 75W90. Both of these sub for 90W gear lube. You can also use MLT. This is a manual trans lube for low temp. conditions and works well with the syncos in street type gearboxes. If you don't know what it is I would drain it and put in some new lube of your choice. This way you KNOW what you have and how much. Fill until the oil runs out the fill port on the side of the gearbox with the car sitting level. It should take just a little less than a gallon when dry.

[ April 24, 2003: Message edited by: Howard Jones ]

Thanks Howard, I drained the transaxle and put in Mobil 1 75-90 full synthetic . I do not have an lsd but the price was right at PepBoys so I used the full synthetic. I do not have much experience with synthetics so I am assuming that a full synthetic is as good as a partial one in this application ?

Back