Mirrors ???

G

Where can I find what are considered "like original" style mirrors ???

Seems like every car used a different style.

What about the Sebring mirror from Cobra Restorers???

Cheers,
Bill Cook

smile.gif

G

Try Racer Parts Wholesale. I got Vitalloni Californians from them VERY cheap. They also carried the Sebring model that mounts directly on the fender. They had, again, very good prices a couple of years ago when I bought my mirrors (<$20 a piece, unpainted)

G

Wayne Presley, Those mirrors you have on your GT. Are they elecrtic and, if so, do you have a source for them.

Thanks,

Ben

I recall reading on this forum that Mazda RX-7 mirrors (not sure which generation but think they were the latest gen) are a perfect application on a GT40. Even though I have the the morrors that came with my RF kit I plan to use the RX-7 mirrors because they are electric and controllable from inside te car, which means they may be able to help me in precarious traffic situations caused by my car's right-hand drive configuration. I don't think the RX-7 mirrors are symmetrical, so I'll have to find some from a Japanese or Australian model in order to get the convex mirror on the left-hand side.

G

Gary,
Thanks for the info, I had seen Wayne's mirrors at the Double Venom Spring Fling in Ohio but never asked him where or what they were from.

Ben

There are only one set of mirrors I recommend. These are 4.5 inch convex lens chrome bullet mirros mounted on the front body beside the fillers. It is essential to have the best possible rearward view whilst looking through the windshield, not turning your head to look out through the side windows. I can supply if wanted. Frank

Ron Earp

Admin
Frank,

do you have a photo of these? If so, mail it to me and I'll post it. I am interested in this as the RF mirrors I have mount to the door. I too think the proper place in out in front of the windshield, for functionality and I prefer the look.

R

Ron,
I'll be using RX7 mirrors. They are off of 85-86 and probably other years but theses for sure.
I think that's what is on Wayne's (correct me if I'm wrong) They look great fit the style, decent size and are electric to boot.
The interior will be a nice little lcd screen that inverts l/r with a tiny little camera (92 degree lens)tucked away in the back. I should be able to see everything I pass just fine.

Ron, I will E mail a close up photo of mirrors, but if you look at the GTD club website photo gallery, and see Robin Batts/Andrew Fordyce cars, these are wearing these mirrors in the correct place. Frank

Ron Earp

Admin
A little off the subject, John there is a rear view mirror with an imbedded LCD display that can be used for your camera. This would keep you from having to mount an additional panel in the car somewhere. I saw it for sale with a color camera for about $500. I know the cameras and screens are cheap (less than $200 for the pair I've seen) but this thing was slick.

Me, I'm sticking to no electronics etc. I just want it to be very basic, like a motorcycle. I'm still debating if I should hide a very small radio and 2 speakers in the car or not. I think not at the moment but that might change.

Take care,
R

[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Can't remember who, but someone in the GTD club has used mirroes off the new mini... they look OK & are electric....

ISTR there is a piccie in one of the club mags.

Just to hopefully aid in avoiding confusion and frustration (worse), the RX-7 body styles switched at the end of 1985 and I suspect (don't know for sure) the mirror design switched then also.

G

Frank, I think you are spot on in your theory. When I was tinkering with mirror placement, on the driver's side, a mirror on the front clip appeared to put the A pillar (if that is the right description of the post for the windshield/door) directly in the line of sight. Am I placing them wrong?

It would certainly be easier to mount them there. Mounting for the side window is difficult because of the little crease just below the front corner of the side screen. In fact, I was going to build up a flat spot to match the base of my mirrors so that they would sit flush.

G

Thanks a bunch to Frank! I just wanted to let everyone know how helpful Frank has been, even when it is one of the uugh-uugh, torque crazy, ham fisted, Tim Taylor type Yanks! Seriously, he was very helpful in my questions about the exact placement of mirrors and other exterior pieces, sending me several photos of exactly what I needed to see. Thanks, Frank!

Hi all,

Julian is spot on, the mirrors off the new mini are fitted to Roy Smart's GTD40 Mk1.

View them HEREon the club website.

As Roy and I have the seat in different positions being electrically adjusted is most useful.

Oh and by the way, they are heated too - for those frosty morning blasts! spoilt or what?

regards

PaulT
grin.gif

Back