tire availability, or the lack thereof

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I have seen several posts on the Forum regarding the lack of availability of high-perf 15" tires, as were fitted to GT40s when they were new...here's my question: does anyone know if it is feasible/possible to get a run of vintage 15" high-speed tires made up, assuming there was enough demand? I know that Coker does runs of vintage tire designs from old molds, many of which are for performance cars? (this assumes we could all agree on what tire to have resurrected, which we might or might not do)
I am several months away from a running car at the least, but ordering a run of vintage tires whould require substantial lead time, which is why I brought this up now.
I would appreciate your thoughts on all this, and if it was discussed already and dismissed, my regrets to all.

Ron Earp

Admin
Jim,

This might not be the best question but - why not use 16" or 17" knock on Halibrands or BRMs? Both are available, and both are reproductions, and both have the vintage look. And, you get lots of tire choices!
smile.gif

I've seen cars fitted with 16 and 17s, you can barely tell the difference with 17s, with 16s really hard. Plus, unless you've got an original GT40, running non-reproduction wheels, why the handicap?

Ron

I think Ron's got the right idea - both in his response above and in another thread. If you want high performance tires for the street, get some 16" rims. But if you're going to be taking it to the track, you're probably going to want a second set of rims for track use. Those can be 15" and you can use the Goodyear Blue Streaks (or I think there are some Dunlops as well - check the other threads).

I think this is what I will end up doing. The CAV comes with 15" rims and S or T rated tires. At some point, I'll get some 16" rims with some Z rated tires (so I can take the car on the Salt Flats
smile.gif
), toss the original tires and get some Blue Streaks for the track.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Toner:
The CAV comes with 15" rims and S or T rated tires. At some point, I'll get some 16" rims with some Z rated tires (so I can take the car on the Salt Flats
smile.gif
), toss the original tires and get some Blue Streaks for the track.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I asked Bob Lacey about the CAV offerings and he said that they have a $400 allowance for tires. If you want something different they will pay the first $400. They also offer the car with PS Engineering 17" Halibrands.

I agree that the 17" have some advantages in tire type, etc. Much more options. Also opens up the possiblity of larger brakes for those interested in hard track time.

Jim
The Coker tires are really more for show. Goodyear still makes 15 inch Treaded Race Tires but the only street legal tires wide enough are 16-20 inch.
Best
Jim

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Duly noted and appreciated. The fellow building the car is a stickler for originality and has expressed a preference to put 15" rims on it. Did any of the original cars come with 16" rims? Personally, I can hardly tell the difference visually. You guys are right, I think. I may decide to go with 16" rims and after all, how many people know the difference?

G

Maybe I have seen too many cars with differing rim diameters but I find it easy to spot a car on non 15 inch rims. Whilst my car is not authentic in every detail and I do not try and make it overly authentic, I have stuck with 15 inch rims as 17 inch rims look very wrong to me. Having them as knock ons lessens the wrong looks but it is still wrong looking. I do have an advantage in that I do not tend to drive my car on the road anymore, just using it for track and competition use (now need to add landscaping uses to this list!) so I can use the Dunlops or others as the whim takes me.

If you can get 15 inch tyres, then you will have a better looking car in my eyes, but the realms of practicality have to be taken into account too. Hope you find what you really want.

Malcolm

PS Pirelli did a 275/55 15 P7 tyre for Aston Martins and there are a few of those floating about still.

PPS Spoke with Goodrich about re-running their Comp TA 2 265/50 15 VR tyre but the set up costs were about $100,000 for tooling. A non starter unless you had firm comittmet from about 200 guys!

[ July 30, 2002: Message edited by: Malcolm M ]

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Keep an eye on Nitto tires. They are developming an autocross tire as an offshoot of their drag radials. These may be available in 15s.

Lets face it. With the trend to larger rims the tyre manufacturers will cater for them at the expense of the smaller rims. We are certainly seeing that with 15 inch rims and it would not suprise that in a few short years the wide range of performance tyres we have now for 16 inch rims will not be available. I am not suggesting that we rush for 17 inch rims but 15 inch rims would need careful consideration IMO.Regards

15" tires really are hard to find. The only thing I have found other than my P7 cement tires (no longer available) are some T and S rated Dunlops and Hoosiers for street driving. I still like my non street DOT Hoosiers for the track. With 2 sets of wheels it is pretty simple to keep a street and track set and the Hoosiers stick very well on the track -they are very soft.

40Bud, Do you use T rated tyres on your 40? I understand they are available in the right sizes, the only drawback is the speed rating (I think T = 120 mph max?)

Altho not reccomended by the manufacturer, would they stand speeds in excess of 120 mph for *short* periods?

Presumably the manufacturers build in a safety margin, ie the tyres don't explode the second they hit 121 mph??

I guess this practice is not reccomended, but has anyone been brave enough to try??

As far as T rated tires,I have been told that the speed ratings are determined by maximum weight load and heat build-up for max weight.The GT40 being lighter than the tires determined max weight load should not be a problem at higher speeds.This is only what I've been told

Yes, BC, what you say is true. The lightness of the GT will allow you to run the tires harder than would otherwise be possible. That said, V & Z rated tires (and the rest of the new hi-perf alphabet soup) are constructed tougher to withstand the higher forces one puts on tires at, say, 160 mph +. I think sustained travel at rapid rates of speed on the old S rated tires could be a bit chancey. Your testosterone level may vary but the forces of nature are pretty reliable.

I'm opting for the BFG Comp T/A at 225 & 295 60 X 15 and I'll just have to keep it under 160 until I can spring for the 16 or 17 Halibrands. Still for "daily" driving I'd rather have the 15 inchers for looks.

Mark

Back