were can i buy a GT 40 body

i need to know the best place web site or place to buy a GT40 body*
and a book to know all abuot these amazing car

*fiberglass body

Two books I recommend are:

GT40 The legend lives on,by John S. Allen

and

Ford GT40, by Trevor Legate

The GT40 photo archive is also very informative.

you can get them online from most book suppliers, such as classic motor books.

As far as some other GT40 books, the one by Ronnie Spain is very good, as is "Shelby GT40" by Dave Friedman (although, as the title suggests, it concentrates on the cars of Shelby American and not GT40's as a whole). The new "Holman & Moody" book has a section on H & M's GT40 involvement that is in many ways a nice contrast to the Friedman book. There is also the David Hodges GT40 book, and Karl Ludvigsen's "Fastest Fords", a reprint of an older book that concentrates on the GT. You can also search used booksellers for John Wyer's "The Certain Sound", which has several chapters devoted to JW's Gulf GT40 program. Lastly, there is a new book coming out which is authored by Carroll Smith and a couple of others. Smith worked at Shelby American on the GT program. That particular book is not out yet and the only place I've seen where it can be preordered is www.bn.com

The others (except the Wyer book, which is rare) can typically be found at www.amazon.com or www.classicmotorbooks.com

Enjoy!

Bob, do you have more information on Carrol SMith's upcoming book? I have most of his collection and admire not only his tech, but also his writing style. If he's writing specifically about the Ford GT40 program then it will be a must-have for my collection.

Mark, all I know is it is an "insider" book on the GT40 development program. Pete Lyons, author of the excellent "Can Am" book, is one of the coauthors. If you go to Barnes & Noble's website--www.bn.com--and put the term "GT40" in the search box you will pull up several listings, one of which is this book. I preordered it about a month ago and so far it has not shipped. It may be one of those deals where it's not even published yet, and frankly when it is places like Amazon will probably have it for less, but like you I have a great deal of respect for Carroll Smith and went ahead and placed my order regardless. I'm sure it will make for fascinating reading.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
RN28,

You can buy my GT40 cd off of Ebay. Just go to Ebay and type in a search for gt40 cd and you'll see it. The cd has lots of photos with video on each MKI and MKII part. It isn't deep in technical info (that's what this forum is for) but does offer a lot of tips. It's only $6.97 plus S&H. Good luck with your dream.

Have fun!

John

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think the best bet on a GT40 body is Chris Melia, although I have not seen one personally. I bought mine from Safir Engineering, and it is beautiful (and original) but I suspect Chris' costs less and looks the part, from what I can tell.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I just bought a body from Chris and so did Gordy,mine is the lightweight and Gordys is street weight.They are both SUPERB,these are GTD style bodies .
Chris will have the ORIGINAL style ones available sometime around the end of March.
The finish and fit is great,
I would highly recommend you to get in touch with him and see what he can do for you.

Back