18" wheels on the rear

I know this may be a Sacrilegious question, but has anyone installed 18" wheels on the rear of 40??!

I presently have 17 X 13 in the rear (P335 X 35 X 17). If I were to use 18s, I can run P345 X 35 X 18 (with a rear wheels Dia of 27.4").

If any one has a photo (assuming someone with bad taste has already done this
grin.gif
), I would be glad to see it.

Thanks,
smile.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
I've got to see that steamroller of yours. Is it back from the paint shop yet? Bring it by if it is and I'll start mine up for ya. Bring ear plugs.

Hey Howard,

Got it back on Monday,,,,it looks good. I need to put the trim pieces on it and clean it up. Once that is done, I will get my ear plugs and come over.
grin.gif

Mark, I know about the GT44 but do we know anyone with a 40 that has 18s in the back?!
Probably not,,,I should be the first then
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Worthington:
Well, the new GT44 uses 18-inch wheels in the front and 19-inch wheels in the rear!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup and looks rubbish!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

"Hey dude look at rims, they're rad!" - I can see it now!
smile.gif
smile.gif

I think 16" is as big as you should go these days, especially for a retro type car.

Regards,

J.P

Now I've seen the 'new' GT44 in the flesh, I have to say it looks simply *amazing*.

The wheels look right because there is a tall sidewall on the tyre. plenty of sidewall gives the 'period' look, as opposed to the current trend for tyres that look like they're painted on the rim!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Julian West:
Now I've seen the 'new' GT44 in the flesh, I have to say it looks simply *amazing*.

The wheels look right because there is a tall sidewall on the tyre. plenty of sidewall gives the 'period' look, as opposed to the current trend for tyres that look like they're painted on the rim!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Julian,

That's interesting! From the pics they look like low profile tyres, still don't like the look though. Any idea what profile they are?

Regards,

J.P

JP,
Here's the info:

Front
Wheels: 18" x 8"
Tires: Goodyear 245/45R18

Rear
Wheels: 19" x 10"
Tires: Goodyear 285/45R19

Brett

PS How's the MDA coming along now Mark has moved to new premises?

Thanks for the info Brett.

45 is still quite low profile, same profile as my M Coupe. I wonder if Goodyear are making these tyres specifically for the new 40?

Mark has moved, and nearly has his new factory sorted.

The car is shaping up nicely. It should really fly, will have at least 450HP. Mark reckons it will weigh less than 1 tonne. With the Quaiffe modified box, six pot brakes etc. I expect it will create a real impact.

Plan to go for 1/4 mile in less than 12 secs at Brighton in Sept.(my home town!).

Whilst on the wheel subject I am using Jongbloed BRM's with cast Magnesium centres & heat treated T6 ali rims. 16". Tyres will be the YOKO A032R's. 255 on rear and 225 front.

I look forward to seeing how they fair with all that power.

Regards,

J.P

JP, "hey dude",

"255 on rear" that is soooo skinny
grin.gif
grin.gif

Kidding aside, I hear what you are saying. That is why i brought the subject up to see If anyone had a picture of 40 with an 18.

I have seen Vipers and Ferraris with 18s and they don't look that bad. But, the tires look way too short.
confused.gif

Hey JP now that I will have to see, its only 30 mins down to Brighton.... honest officer!

I can't see Goodyear listing those sizes on their site, so Ford must have got them madfe specially.... they seem to have a habit of that take a look at the new Mondeo's original tyres for instance.....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Faili F:
JP, "hey dude",

"255 on rear" that is soooo skinny
grin.gif
grin.gif

Kidding aside, I hear what you are saying. That is why i brought the subject up to see If anyone had a picture of 40 with an 18.

I have seen Vipers and Ferraris with 18s and they don't look that bad. But, the tires look way too short.
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Dude" the original 40's came with less than 255's.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Seriously though, I know that sounds skinny. The RF's come with 255's on the rear. Robert Logan has a 40 with 450'ish BHP with 255's and he reckons its fine.

I personally think slightly smaller is better, especially on the limit. I will be racing my car this summer in the GTD40 club events. It will be very interesting to see how the car, and myself pan out! I'll have the least amount of rubber.

If it goes well, great, if it does not, I'll have a re-think. But still not 17's or 18's.

I'd probably use 16's for the road and buy a set of 15's with race tyres for track use.

Regards,

J.P

[ March 27, 2003: Message edited by: JP ]

Back