Gurney Flap

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Marco, as far as I have been able to tell
its a way of extending the rear lip in the vertical sense and I imagine its a way of
lengthening/'peaking' the aerodynamic chord
that is formed by the rear body work. I would imagine the result at high speed with the area formed by the rear curve would be an increase in rear down force. I believe other 'appendages' i.e. front down force plates were also tried on GT40s just outboard and down from the front lights but I dont know if it was a serious attempt or not. The resultant drag at high speed would have been awful but they were also tried in 1999 at Le Mans on the ill fated Mercedes to try and keep their cars from flying. They failed dismally.
Dave

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: David Morton ]

Ah, just what i tought you meant..
But i also thought that it might at worst be something more sophisticated...
But i did not recall the name...
Yes, they tried to get just a little bit more downforce in curves and balance it to not get to much on the straights to reduce top speed.
It was adjusted with 10th of inches.
Just to get it fine tuned..and get the most of it..
Some sort were tried on all versions, sort of.
Even canard fins at front of different shapes..on all versions.

And even more places...

Just the first trembling steps, to what is now know as downforce...today..
A lot happened back then...
At least at rear it proved successful..
Front were changed forth and to..so i wonder..
How it really turned out in the long run..

grin.gif

Allen's book GT40 The legend lives on has at least one photo that I can recall I think they tended to be used on the mk11's.

The MK-IV has a small chin splitter at the front edge of the tub, air dams along the rad openings and an adjustable rear spoiler. At the LeMans test days they also tried fins which thankfullly they abandoned.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Does any forum member have knowledge of this flap system, maybe even a picture and especially some dimensions and spacing of attachments?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you all. The front ones that I alluded to were correctly labelled by Marco as Canards. Didn't some of the the 917 also run air brakes as well? I guess they might have been operated with brake application.
As far as the Gurney flap - does anybody run one? is it effective? and if so what are the approx. dimensions.
Dave M.
b.r.g./ 302/ webers
rottweiller passed away.

Back