Front end bump steer GTD,s

Malcolm, I want to say thank you for your comments about raising the steering rack. I cut access holes in the floor pan to get at the bolts easily and installed spacer blocks of just under 7/16" on each side. this was pretty simple with the holes! Made a nice cover plate to seal up the holes, added about 1/16" to each side to compensate for the raising of the rack and walla! Big improvement in driving. No more following ruts, tar strips etc. Can,t wait to see the difference with the Hoosiers on the track.

G

Nice to know you found a positive improvement, but hey, a novel way of getting to the brackets!!!!! Maybe I am too skinny as I can get my arm in to both brackets to work hands on. Mind you I nearly dislocate my elbow getting my arm out....

Malcolm
wink.gif

Have you read the article on Ackermann in the GTD club mag?

Could a spacer block could be designed that moves the rack rearward (or forwards?) aswell as raises it, thus fixing the bump steer and fixing the Ackermann?

G

Hi Julian

The answer has to be a yes to a degree although no one has done it on a standard GTD chassis. Kevin said "I must add here that the chassis on my first car was different to the later production GTDs..."

However from memory is there enough room to move the rack back and forth? Definately some room but is it enough to dial out the problem? Not sure as Kevin didn't say how many mm the rack got moved.

You going to give it a go?

Malcolm

Hi Malc,

I certainley want to make some improvements to the front geo, but I'm unable to do anything in that dept until I get hold of a suitable set of front uprights.

Unfortunatley I've had to stop work on the car since late Feb, whilst I deal with an exceptional workload!
frown.gif

Back