GTD/DRB Windshield info

GTD windshields also fit KVA's or is it the other way around.(I put a GTD in my KVA).As KVA was around first.So DRB will fit both .
Just goes to show how many people have used the original KVA/GTD cars as their ""inspiration""

I am posting this on the Forum for anyone thinking of using DRB glass on GTD cars.

I purchased a windsield from DRB (free delivery!!as part of DRB kit for Dave Harris) and installed it on my GTD.

The fit is very good with 1/8 to 1/4 of space gap all around when installed. I now have an old blue GTD windshield that is sitting in my house
shocked.gif

Bottom line,,,,DRB windshield fit on GTDs.
wink.gif

Hi all,

What is the process for getting a windshield mold made for producing more? This might be of interest to all.

Have fun!

John

Jose,

The windshield is blue for one thing
frown.gif
and there are two small spots on the lower corners were the lamination is seprating.

The reason was more cosmetic than function. But then again most of the items on my car are not for function
grin.gif

Fran,

Thanks. I already know that Dan has them made and I (and 3 others) will probably buy from him soon. However, I was interested in the process of it.

The owner of #1117 was at one time interested in getting a mold off of my original TRIPLEX to produce that type of windscreen. The idea fell through due to the guy that was going to make the mold and the windscreens backing out.

I'd still like to know the process since I have 20 years experience in heat treatment of high alloys and, thus, an interest in that.

Have fun!

John

John,

I am not an expert, but. Long time ago I read about the process used by a company in the UK(Classic & Sportscar magazine I think), they make small runs of glass for classic cars amongsst other things.

1. Produce a wooden form of the windshield.

2. Cut a piece of laminated glass to the correct shape.

3. Heat glass to some scientifically defined temperature - its bendy but not runny.

4. Put glass on wooden former and let it take the shape of the form.

5. Let cool

6. Remove cooled glass and insert in car.

As complicated as that. If I find the article I'll let you know.

Regards, Juan.

Juan,

Thanks. I wonder how they determine the original "cut to shape" before the heating?

Have fun!

John

John,

Well, you're either looking at CAD hand form shaping or, my preffered method, cardboard and jungle tape.

Regards, Alex (lost the silly pseudonym).

Thanks UK,

The process sounds like it's more than a back-yard mechanic's endeavor.

Who does this stuff in the US? I think Dan White said he had 3 different companies to consider for his windscreens, but they may have been foreign (to the US)such as Africa.

I've already decided against using the original TRIPLEX as a reproduction windscreen would be easier to get for replacement (yes, even GT40 windscreens get broken once in a while).

Have fun!

John

John,

I was speaking to Martin Colvill last year, he owns an original valued at around £900,000. He and his mechanics said that originals are starting to suffer from body flex due to corrosion - they were built as throw away racers and not expected to last 40 years. Anyway the said body flex is causing some of the cars to suffer cracked windscreens.

My interesting point is, the original glass made for 40's is in short supply and is allegedley now costing £8000 a time.

I am still looking for the windscreen manufacturer article as time allows.

Regards, Alex.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have a Dan White windshield in my GTD as we speak. They are a little larger all the way around the circumference but that is good because you can have them sanded to fit perfectly. I needed only to have 1/16-1/8 sanded off the edges. The shape and "arc" are perfect.

Dan, chime in here let us know how you are doing.

Your friend, Howard

Dan is supplying me with a new windscreen for my DRB which got grinder sparks imbedded in it. Dan is not easy to get hold of, and can be a little slow to answer. Be aware that he has two different windscreens that will work on a GT40. One has more curve to it(DRB) than the other. He can tell you which you would need with a simple measurement. For those interested, I have his current email address. He is "supposedto" bring mine when he delivers Chip's car to him sometime this spring?????

Bill

Back