Hydraulic handbrake

Is there someone who could tell me what handbrake I could place in my GTD40.
I am replacing rear drums with discs and need to replace cable handbrake by hydraulic one.
Tx
Fred

Fred,

Almost all newer cars integrate the parking brake (cable operated) into the caliper design. Unless you have a strong aversion to using a cable, I think that method is by far the simplest solution to your problem.

Fred,

What rear discs are you fitting, if its the Granada setup then standard calipers (or cosworth ones) have an inbuilt cable arrangement. The cabling realatively simple and cheap. Is there a problem with a central handbrake in your car?

David

Fred,
If yougo to Highspec motorsport they do an integrated caliper. else, Europa or Demon Tweeks have the neccessary bits for a hydraulic handbrake.

The video is on its way, sorry for the delay, I got really tied up with work and have been away a lot.

Brett

David?Bret,

Tx for your input.
I am looking at calipsters made by a bunch of old employees of AP racing.My mecanic has the info and will come back to you.
Tx for other potential sources.
I will also look at the cable option as this seems still the most obvious option.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Fred,

I seem to remember something about a Renault car (Leguna I think) that was fitted with a htdraulic handbrake. There was a problem with the cars rolling down hills when the car cooled down because everything contracted and the break released enough. The cars were recalled to fix the problem but there were numerous stories of cars slipping down steep driveways and being involved in accidents.

Hydraulic handbrakes are not legal in Australia for road use but are used a lot in rally cars.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Q: will a GT40 circa 1000kg roll down hill whilst parked in gear ? Cable handbrakes are surely a thing from Noah's Ark with dual braking systems (when considering them as an emergency brake) Fred, see seperate e-mail about ISA-Racing in Germany.They have what you need.
Dave

Fred,

I'm not sure if this applies throughout Europe, but in the UK, you need a mechanical handbrake to pass an MOT. Hydraulic is not adequate to pass the regulations.

I have heard of a few lucky people that have managed to get through with a hydraulic h-brake, but it depends on just how 'friendly' the MOT inspector is!

JUlian,

just in time for your input.Many thanks as my car remains registered in UK.
Will review options
Rgds
Fred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Back