Special Tools for Plexi/Lexan

G

Somewhere along the line, I seem to recall someone saying that when drilling and cutting plexiglass, perspex, lexan, or what ever you want to call it, one needed to use a special type of drill bit and, possibly, special cutters.

Could somebody enlighten me on this? What is this special type of drill or blade called? Is there a particular source for them??

Thanks in advance,

Hi Lynn
You can use any std metal twist drill and modify the cutting edge relief (heal angle)from 12-15 deg to 0 deg. This stops the drill bit from biting into the perspex.
hope this helps

Clayton

I like to use straight-flute drills on acrylic. Take it slow and use lots of oil to try to keep the temperature down. If it gets too hot it will melt and the drill will walk on you. I've had good luck cutting the stuff with a regular bandsaw. A router works pretty well, too.

Scott

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I have used standard metal twist drills (in a drill press where I could - to control the feed rate) - no problems so far with all 120+ holes drilled. I just used a standard fluted countersink tool in a cordless drill to finish off the holes - again, no problems.

Cutting the damn stuff is a different story ! I tried a jigsaw with a plastic cutting blade, perspex masked up on each side of the cut, very slow speed to keep the heat down, etc - cracked the side window half way through ! The problem seems to be in cutting curved panels - without support directly under the cut, there is too much potential for flexing & hence the cracks. Peter Ransom at GT40 Australia (DRB) supplied me with a replacement side window in 3 days flat & suggested I use a diamond blade in an angle-grinder. This works like a dream - about 6 featherlight runs across the perspex & you have a cut that is almost perfect. A little trimming with a belt sander & you are done.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.
smile.gif

I use a Dremmel tool with bit number 9904, which is a router-type bit to cut out the headlight covers I produce. The circular nipping always works better than sawing. I also use Dremmel bit number 196, which is a drum-shaped burr for cutting and finishing. If you cut in a counter clock-wise direction around the piece, the "heat boogers" stick to the plexi and the cut piece stays clean. Also, cut with the bit at an angle instead of perpendicular to the plexi, it cuts better and jumps less.

G

You guys never cease to amaze me. Thanks for the great feedback! It sure helps when you go into something with some knowledge under your belt.

Thanks,

Back