WOULD NOT START UNTIL..

I tapped on the starter with a hammer. Positive lead to battery was hot (temp) as were both lead wires from starter to solenoid, and starter itself was hot. Engine would turn over by hand with a wrench to a pully bolt on the front of the engine.
Has done this before. Turning engine by hand worked first 2 times. Bad starter? Now starting but want to FIX the problem. Opinions appreciated. cb

Ron Earp

Admin
Sounds like you need a new starter for the car.

I had something similar happen about 15 years or so ago on a 460 wagon I used to have. I did not find out of it was the actual starter motor that was bad or of the solinoid on the starter needed a thump to kick the pinion gear into the flywheel teeth. All I know is that when I got a new starter assembly from Advance Auto the problem went away.

I'd give a new one a try. If you've got any flavor of SB Ford the starter will cost next to nothing anyhow.

Ron

Chip,

I had a similar problem with a Hi Torque

starter. I tried everyhing to get it to work,

but no joy. Got a new one from Kennedy

Engineered Products for $185, which has

worked perfectly since.

Unfortunately, defective parts do get to

consumers once in a while. Perhaps our

starters were built on a Monday.

If your starter is still getting hot, even

though it is starting your engine, you would

be smart to replace it anyway.

Bill

Sticking starter problems - I have found many times that the sticking starter is not a bad starter. It is caused by a faulty solenoid drawing to much current and not allowing enough output to get to the starter.

Back