Anyone using a removable steering wheel?

My GTD has a Mountney-style wheel...it seems that a removable wheel would make ingress/egress so much simpler. Is anyone using one? Any details--where you purchased it, any tips for installation, etc.--are greatly appreciated...

Bob, I'm not sure if your specific wheel was addressed, but removeable steering wheels have been discussed before. Try here and here and even here.

smile.gif

[ April 23, 2003: Message edited by: Mark Worthington ]

G

Talk to Rick @ Tri-C engineering, who is going to install one in my GT40. Telephone # (661) 295-1550.

Thank you, guys! I looked over some previous topics but obviously not well enough
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif
. The forum is invaluable, as usual--

G

My car uses a Mountney steering wheel that is removable. I just bought the right adapter plate for the kit to take my wheel so it can be done.

Malcolm

Hi all,

I read an article many years ago about a GT40 (I thought it was in Kit Car about a GTD40) that used a steering wheel that would tilt up/down and go in (towards the dash) and out. It said that this would greatly help one's entrance and exit. I've dreamed of this one for my GT40.

Have fun!

John

The column in my GTD adjusts in the same way & I think all GTD's are the same.

It is very nice to get the wheel exactly where you want it, however there is a small amount of play n the splines which needs attention on my car.

Julian,

Thanks. Do you know the maker of such a steering wheel (in the USA)?

Have fun!

John

John,

I *think* the column is originally taken from a Triumph Dolomite, and brackets made up by GTD. I'm surethere is someone more knowledegable than me that can confirm.

It's a pretty simple set-up, wouldn't be dificult to copy.

Try speaking to Mark Sibley @ MDA he may be able to help.

As for the removable wheel, you could try asking Demon Tweeks or someone like that for a Snap-off boss adaptor kit.

Brett

The steering column in my car is a Flaming River tilt unit connected to an FR rack and pinion. The column started life about 29" long and is now very much shorter. Complicated thing to get apart and required remaking the pivot pins in order to reassemble it. Can't recommend using one unless you have a lathe to make parts and a lot of patience. FR was notably unhelpful in the endeavor.

The column uses a chevy nose on the shaft. I bought a QR from Summit and carefully opened up the internal bore until the spline section went as far onto the shaft as possible while retaining full tension. I then bored a hole through the backing plate on the wheel so that the nose of the shaft had a place to go. It did not touch the front plate by the time all was done.

To make a very long story short, the car now has a tilt column and a removeable wheel that actually looks like it was intended to be.

There seems to be no play in the QR from Summit.

mike

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Mike,

We have just finished a removable steering wheel for Jay Thompson on one of our Roaring Forties GT40. This improves entry into the car and is one of the most effective anti-theft devices I have ever found.

Best wishes,

Robert

Mike, we fit them as well. Its a better yuppie statement to walk into a restuarant with a gt40 steering wheel than with the latest mobile phone !! Frank

Bob,
If you are interested, I have two different threads from the old forum on the subject. One was titled "Removable steering wheel" and the other was " A little imput please". If you would like the files let me know and I will email them to you. I have been saving threads and have almost 300 of them which I use as resources for my build. Searches will not bring up files from the old forum. There was another thread entitled " Quick release steering" but when I open it up is has another file in it??? There are several web sites as well that have quick release hubs that will work with almost any wheel you want to use. I have their sites in my favorites section and can give them to you as well. I would have to search through them to find them. I know Summit caries one. I would make it an attachment but I am having a hard time getting the right extension on the file.
Bill

Mark, yes I have M-L wheel. talked to Robert the other day. Stuff is with Hersh - to may things going on - need to call him, time to start working again.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Snakeyes, the Snap-Off by HP/Raid is designed for the Mountey steering wheel. I ordered mine from a German Autospecialty shop and love it. It is very unlike most found in the US as it retains turn signals and horn. Much like Mike described it looks like it should be there. I had a picture of one posted on the old board.

Regards,
Lynn

Back