BRIGHTON 2002

Hi Dave,
Got my entry + pen but no list. I guess they'll be available when we sign on.

Anyway, I've spoken to Frank and his friend Julian Godfrey is entered in our class in his 700+BHP 4WD RS200! - 149mph on the quarter! - should be fun.

Let's hope its DRY and SUNNY!

PaulT

G

As you can guess from Dave and Pauls posts above it is Brighton Speed Trial Time again.

Now this venue is easy to write up. After the start line you keep your foot buried for 1/4 mile changing gear as necessary! Do not turn your steering wheel as it will have overly dramatic results. Fastest time wins.

As Dave says, no entry list has been provided this year (a first) but it does seem they have made a go at trying to solve the parking problems in the paddock. Lets hope they work.

Those who are going include

Malcolm MacAdam
Paul Thompson
Dave Parker
Julian Kingston Smith
Roy Smart
Roger Burston
Martin Hacon
Mo McNicholl
Andrew Fordyce
Ray Christopher
Roy Wing

I am not sure if Robin or Frank are coming but I ams ure Frank can confirm what teh score is there. I assume that Tony Marsh will be there in his twin turbo Mk11. I doubt he would be keen to tie a rope around this engine and use as an anchor, Ron!!!

Wendy will be there in her Lotus if I can get another trailer sorted.

Lets all hope the weather behaves itself as it can be miserable when it rains. As demonstarted last Saturday at Lydden. If sunny you can get up to 10,000 spectators so I am told! Never stopped to count them myself.

Paul, Roy, Dave and Tony are the ones to put your money on although Roger could be up there to as he has historically done well here. Maybe it is heavy on the throttle style that suits a 1/4 mile?

If I have missed out any club entrant, apologies but hope to see you all on the day.

Malcolm

Hi everyone, I have just recieved my regs for brighton and have noticed that there was'nt an enty list, Has anybody recieved a list or program

regards

Dave

p.s I did recieve my pen did everyone else...

G

Had some questions in that I thought others may be interest in the answers.

The event takes place down on Madeira Drive right on the sea front. Follow the A23 all the way to its very end which is a mini roundabout. This is by the main pier. However spectator parking is a bummer as there is no on site parking at the Speed Trials. They also tow away incorrectly parked cars as my brother found out one year so be careful!

Entry to the paddock is not free. There are two levels of charges depending where you want to go. The very top level of teh prominade is free access. The next level down costs about £5 and is where thousands of people go. To see the cars running this is the place to be. You can station yourself anywhere down the track. The paddock is about £10 but you get right in amongst all the cars and if not careful run over to boot. To come and chat to the lads entered this is where you will have to be. The views are marginally limited from here but you get really close to the launch area and tyre warming area. Like three feet away! If the 7.2 litre Nissan Sunny does a burn out you will gag on tyre smoke!

The event starts really early. The aim for entrants is to be there about 7 am or earlier. Action starts at 9 am and goes on until 5:30 ish. There is a break for lunch. Prize giving is about 7pm in the club arch.

All visitors welcome. If you read this site let us know when you turn up.

Malcolm

Seems our friends across the pond have a thing for drag racing! And I thought it was us Yanks who liked the challenge of driving in a straight line.
wink.gif

Best of luck, guys. Here's hoping somebody with a GT40 runs an 11.XX at 13X mph.
grin.gif

G

Long term weather forecast is good so here's hoping...

Malcolm

PS now where did I leave those rear slicks?

G

I have been told that Roger won't there but working! Also think the wind is going to blowing the wrong way so slowing us down. Normal prevailing conditions here are SW winds but the weather forecast, whilst nice and dry, possibly warm too, shows NE ie a headwind of some force. Time to make your cars slippery guys!

Malcolm

Hi all,
Sensible money should be on Tony Marsh (if present) - with 630BHP Traction control + launch control, the Dave Wilson Memorial trophy should be going his way!

Tony40.JPG

regards

PaulT

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Thompson ]

G

Well Paul, I think you are being too modest here as even though Roy's car maybe has up to 70 bhp less (how often can we say that?) than Tony's monster, you still are a top contender for it. Unlike me....

I am not taking my 40 even out of the garage on Saturday. With the gearbox all back in with new spigot bearing done, ready for a test run at 4 pm yesterday, something was very wrong.

First thoughts were that my machining of the spigot was duff, so out came the box and checks made. No, that was fine.

It may be the fifth gear cog is catching on something. I had changed to a taller 5th ratio (whilst the box was out) and sometimes this has been known to happen. Thanks Paul for your experience in guiding me to what I hope is the real cause here, but there aren't enough hours in the day left to get this sorted. Also both mine and Wendy's patience is wearing very thin on car problems.

Wendy and I had a quick discussion (!) and I am now sharing the Lotus with her.

Well, I wondered what would go wrong with the car this time, and now I know! What a crap season.

Malcolm
mad.gif

Hi all,
Yep, Malcolm can officially declare he has had a major run of bad luck this year and as it would have been his tenth anniversary at Brighton, a great shame. I am still in debt to him for introducing me to the pleasures of driving and competing in a '40'.

However, I can also announce a nickname change from 'Mad-Arse MacAdam' to 'Sneaky Pete!' - why you ask? - well it turns out and I suspected when discussing his 5th gear problem, that he now has both a QUAIFE shaft/gear conversion (aka DaveP and RoyS) together with a QUAIFE ATB Diff (aka DaveP, RoyS, AndrewF and RogerB) and was hoping to 'jump' the opposition leaving them wondering how he did it! - Sorry Malc - the cat's out the bag so to speak, however, I hope your luck improves as being secretive does not deserve the run of bad luck you've recently been dealt.

Hoping to see you on-track soon

Paul T
grin.gif

G

Oh bugger, you found out! Hey ho. Well at least no-one knows about the new 500 bhp engine yet! Oooops....I got the box 5 months ago and each time I had some time to fit it, something else went wrong with the car. Just having it there and seeing you disappear in to the distance has been painful! Next year I'll get you....

Malcolm
grin.gif

PS At least Sneaky Pete is more complimentary than the other interim name you and Roy came up for me....
rolleyes.gif

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Malcolm M ]

Brighton Speed Trials 2002
Congratulations to Paul for winning the Dave Wilson Memorial Trophy for The fastest gtd40 over the quarter mile...

Well done Paul,Well deserved.

regards Dave Parker
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Back