GT40's racing at Donnington yesterday

GT40\'s racing at Donnington yesterday

I went to a very wet Donnington park circuit yesterday to spectate the final round of the 750 MC SR & GT championship. Graham Turner & Trevor Taylor were competing in GT40's amongst a field of Cobra's, Porsches, D & E types plus a few others.

The conditions were nothing short of horrendous, a wet track was getting steadily wetter & the rain just got harder & harder. Having raced in the rain myself,I can really hand it to the guys for braving zero grip & terrible visibility.

The winning 600+bhp cobra was audibly spinning the wheels 3/4 of the way down the main straight!

Unfortunatley the yellow GT40 of Trevor Taylor had a 'meeting' with a 911 on the start & suffered bodywork damage, but this didn't stop either car completeing the race!

It was a very evocative sight seeing & hearing 40's & cobras doing battle on the circuit, very inspiring stuff... All in all a very exciting race! Hat's off to all involved!

Re: GT40\'s racing at Donnington yesterday

The trainsportter in me wonders if anyone knows the chassis nos for these two cars ?

G

Julian, Many thanks for your kind words about our bravery at the swimming pool called Donington yesterday. Trevor Taylor in fact side swiped poor old Richard Abels in his lightweight e-type jag and me and some others had the task of avoiding them and the debris. Some of us thought that the red flag was going to come out - so that didn't make for a very good start.

Although I completed the race it was quite eventful with my gear linkage snapping and giving me a fast 360 degree spin right through Cramer Curve which somehow flipped up my windscreen wiper arm and blade like a TV aerial.

So most of the race was in fourth gear and with little forward vision! Guess who hadn't Rainexed his windscreen. Stupid boy. I never expected an arm to stick up. Still another season complete and many points proved.

Roll on 2003 and the 917. I am still looking for a good driver for the 40 so that both vehicles can be out together next season so offers please on the back of a large open cheque!!!

Regards to all,
GTA

G

And you can read more on Graham's adventures in the next GTD club mag as I have twisted his arm to do a write up of his eventful season.
Malcolm

G

Good on yer mate.
Yes,i,ll do my best to give you an interesting and low level view of the season.Any one out there with a fail safe gear change mechanism that does not involve cutting the chassis.After a trouble free season it really through a wobler on me Sunday and is now going over the nearest hedge!!!
Regards to all,
Graham - GTA.

G

Hello all,
Just a quick apology for my bad grammar in previous letter.I meant "Threw a wobbler!!"
GTA.

Back