R21T Question

Howard Jones

Supporter
What model of car does a renualt R21 turbo gearbox come from? I am missing my reverce switch and need to be able to tell the guy at the parts store what kind of car I have. If anyone knows what the thread pitch and shaft dia. is I might just make a plug. My car does not have backup lights anyway.
Thanks Guys
Your American friend
Howard Jones

since the car has no back up lights, I think you would find it easier to just plug the hole with a metric plug.

Anyone with a metric tap/die set should have a little thread pitch gauge in their kit,,,,,or just try a few different metric bolts until you find the thread you need.

Oh, Renault tends to give their cars numbers/letters for ID, much like most other European manufacturers like,,,,,
Mercedes C230, e430, m320,
BMW M3, 740iL,
Citroen SM, DS,
Volvo 740,
Porsche 911, etc,,,
Renault does the same with models like the R12, R16 R21 etc.

The Renault "21 turbo" is actually a hot performing car, sort of like a "French"Ford Taurus SHO type of car.

They have tuners and a few enthusiasts who make powerful roadcars out of them.

Too bad the only thing that Renault has ever been really known for in the US is the "LeCar".
rolleyes.gif

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Alain Vanhollebeke ]

Denis, if you tell your parts man that you need a reversing light switch for a 1981-83 Delorean or a Lotus Esprit S4S you should get the part you need.

I'm not 100% sure on this one but I have the 21 turbo box which was new when fitted to my car. I understand it is designated UN1 by Renault and is also used in the Renault Espace (Van with windows thing). Perhaps this vehicle is a little more modern to obtain spares for. I had to replace my input shaft a while back, and I quoted the Espace for drawings to obtain gaskets and parts from the Renault dealer. Renault were quite helpful. If you get totally stuck in the US, it may be easier to get one of us to source one in UK for you. Just a thought.

Back