GTD in liquidation

Has any one over there in the UK given any thought to buying from the liquidators or at the disposal sale things such as the chassis jig and/or the body molds etc to help GTD owners in the future.

Hi Norman

What chassis jig? it was scrapped two or three years ago. When GTD moved premises they left it out side their old premises and someone scrapped it.
I understand that all the remaining parts disappeared two weeks before the liquidation, so nothing left there to buy.
Even the CAV car that was supposed to be the GTD demonstrator was purchased in another company name.
If your going to liquidate a company then you can always plan for it in advance, as they have done without any regards to who it hurts.
Regards,
Chris

Mike
The body moulds are the property of Ray Christopher, He basically franchised the operation to CAV and the Marshes, and was paid a royalty on each Kit sold.
I understand that he is now working with another South African company possibly with an X director of CAV to relaunch the GTD at a knock down price that will possibly be the new Factory Fivee quivalent in the USA of the GT40 World.

Regards
Chris.

[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Maybe if someone out there has a 'bare' GTD chassis, it would be a good idea to get some jigs made up, or at very least accurately measured up, otherwise, sooner or later there will be a very very sad GTD owner out there..........?

Neil

Can't resist the temptation to chuck in my 2 penneth!

Rather than jigging a 'new' GTD chassis, A much imroved end prduct could be achieved by jigging a GTD chassis that has been modified to incorpirate siting the engine & 'box lower on the chassis, plus maybe rear suspension pick ups better placed for improved geo.

At a bare chassis stage modifications could also allow for a bit more room in the footwell, etc etc. Lots of GTD owners have done these type of mods.

With regard to the rest of the car, I believe very little was actaully made 'in-house' by GTD. I'm sure many of the companies that actually produced the parts are still around & if GTD no longer exisits they could manufacture & sell the parts direct to owners without worrying about breaking any contracts or agreements.

Hi Chris,

I've never seen an RF in the flesh, but from the pictures the chassis looks far superior to the GTD.

The nostril fits just fine! havn't had it painted yet tho.

cheers!

Hi Julian

I am making a space frame that takes its measurements and style from original dimensions for my racer. I always wondered why the GTD was so tight on footwell space, and completely different on the suspension pick up points.
Why reinvent the round wheel with a square one?
I know the GTD chassis had its origins in the weld on front and rear sections for the KVA, but you would have thought that instead of standing still with the old design for the last 18 years they would have developed it.
Even KVA went on to the C type chassis in the late eighties, but I must give credit to Robert Logan for his space frame chassis in the RF it addresses most of the points above.

Regards,
Chris

PS. How did you get on with the nostril?

Back