March Fortyfication

Brian Magee

Supporter
We are posting the latest issue of Fortyfication today so expect it on your door mat in the next few days.

This issue includes a potted history of the GT40 replica industry here in Britain, a report on Steve Davis and Gail's trip to NZ and an article by Derek Bell on his latest update kits for the Renault transaxle.
There is a list of events of interest to '40 owners and Allan Feldman's view of the new Scalextric cars.

If you are not a club member and would like to receive a copy, you can join by taking a look at our website through the link here.

Brian.

Received my copy this morning & read it cover to cover - Great! really enjoyed the articles on the history of the GT40 replica & the RML 40. A very informative read - Keep up the good work!

Brian and other writers,

Great read again, thanks. Its worth the joining fee folks!

One point, the article on bugs in fuel, I felt sure this was a wind up and certain when you got to the HUM-BUG Detector kit - BUT there was no punchline - so its really true is it or did I miss the point??

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Julian and Dave.
Thanks for the compliments on the magazine - it makes the job a bit easier when you know all the work is appreciated.

Dave. With regard to the "Bugs in my Fuel" article, it is not a wind-up. I have had a phone call today from someone who recognises the symptoms in a car he does not use every day. After a spell of non use, the engine takes a good burst of full throttle to clear the engine but if he uses the car regularly, then he has no problem. I had the same happen with my 40 when I took it out a few weeks ago. It ran fine through the town at low revs, but as soon as I floored the throttle it just choked. After a couple of miles it cleared. I think this could be the problem John Edwards has been having with his jets.

Brian.

Hmmmm. Maybe that's why my car seems slow. I think I'll practice safe filling-up and fit a condom over the petrol hose next time
wink.gif

G

I read somewhere that petrol actually has a shelf life. Maybe this is the gremlin for not used very often cars?

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Petrol/gasoline definitely does have a shelf life. It takes some time for it to degrade,
so you need not worry, unless the car sits
idle for long periods of time(1 year+), at which point tank flushing might be a good idea. The end product after a couple of years, looks like a cross between varnish and syrup, not the best diet for jets or injectors.

Bill

G

Hi Bill

I thought it was a shorter time frame but have no specific knowledge to back that up. Never had the problem myself as good old holleys take great abuse (apart from dropping nuts!). Normally I hear of it in cement mixers and lawnmowers! Maybe that is what these guys have under their banks of beautiful Webbers? Just kidding guys!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Malcolm

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Brian,

Got my copy of Fortification this morning from Chris. Many thanks.

A great read an HUGHLY better than the offerings I was used to many years ago.

Highly recommended and I will send a cheque by return mail (honest).

Keep up the good work, I will be in the UK in May, if there is anything on please contact me the usual ways.

Best wishes,

Robert

G

Got my issue today thanks. Excellent read. Also finally caught the Cheryl Crow video. Life is good.
smile.gif

Indeed, unleaded petrol does have a shelf life. With the additives now being used, regular unleaded fuel purchased from a busy filling station will start to significantly loose its octane level within 4 to 6 weeks of purchase and drop to the very low 90's.
On the other hand, Shell Optimax maintains its level more long term and has an octane rating of 99.8
I know this to be true because a friend of mine recently had fuel sample tests conducted in the labs at Rolls Royce aero engines.

Maybe, but if that's the fuel in the truly gut wrenching advert by Schumi and the little fish, can I bring myself to use it?
grin.gif

Brian-

I talked about fuel bugs to a couple of guys. One was an ex-F1 mechanic who said "Of course there are fuel bugs, where have you been for 50 years ?". Another less abrasive engineer said that fuel bugs are a big problem in boats, as the boats sit idle over the winter months & need disinfecting. He also maintained military tanks- same problem. Doesn't matter if its petrol or diesel, bugs will contaminate the fuel over the idle months.

Tony ( And I've got a Holley, so I'm OK !.)
grin.gif

Hi all

from my RAF days I can confirm that these bugs exists as a form of fungus. They live in the boundary area between any water in the fuel and the fuel itself.
They actually draw oxygen from the water and sustenance (food) from the fuel.
As you know water in fuel is not a good thing and this is one of the reasons why.
The bug is called cladosporium resinae or better known to RAF types as Gladis. If it is allowed to grow unchecked it can eventually become detached and clog up filters pumps and jets. the best way to keep it at bay is to fit water traps in the system, and keep the fuel tanks full to avoid condensation in the tanks during the winter storage months.

Regards
Chris.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Chris, I think one of the measures you describe (by reducing airspace above any fuel and thereby condensate) is the paramount
way, but I also recall a fuel additive in the past called 'Prist' used in JP4/JP5/Avtur type fuels, and I think it may have been used in Avgas/100LL as well. I'm not sure how it affected the fuel (if at all) but conversely I've seen the effect of fungus and seen machines condemmed because of it.
Dave

Back