painting your car

Has anyone out there painted their own car? I sell industrial epoxies and urethanes, and have the equipment, but would I be getting in way over my head? Any thoughts on this one?

I've considered this. First, I wouldn't do it unless I could "practice" on a couple other cars first. Second, and most importantly, you really need a goodspray booth with adequate ventilation and dust control. Since I don't have time for the former or equipment for the latter I will find someone to paint my car. I've budgeted $4,000, but that assumes that I'll have the body work pretty much done and that I'll do a lot of prep and shoot several coats of primer before I bring it to the paint shop.

I am at the stage to paint. While I too do not have the skill or equipment to do the finish paint I would like to do as much of the prep as possible. Any advice as to how, what products to use, and where to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

PS Mark, my trip to Boston area was posponed for a couple of weeks, should I post the flairs?

I should finish painting mine this week. I'm not a professional painter and have only painted my own vehicles with the last paint job about 10 years ago.
I have good guns although not HVLP. No spraybooth. The garage I paint in is 35'x50' with a 14' ceiling. Dust isn't a problem but paint overspray in the air is. Some paints are dry before the overspray hits the floor. Some aren't and hang in the air a long time even with vent fans running.

While the actual spraying of paint takes some practice, it isn't that difficult. 95% of the paint job is the prep work..body work, priming, sanding, smoothing, filling, etc.

If you have never painted anything, a GT40 probably isn't a good car to start with. It has very few flat panels, very few straight lines. The air intake scoops below the rear window are a real challenge. Painting stripes adds to the complexity.

The cost of paint and the time required to sand off and redo mistakes or things you don't like can dampen your enthusiasm really quickly.

The paint job is one of the first things that people see when they look at the car and makes that "first impression".

With all that said, I would never send my car to someone else to paint. It has been painful getting the paint to look like I want it to look, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you do paint yourself, you must have a respirator suitable for painting. The vapors from today's paints are nasty and painting without a booth and good ventilation makes it that much worse.

Eastwood sells many prep products, sanding blocks, paper, filler, glazing putty, etc.
I've used PPG Deltron products with good results in the past. I'm using House of Kolor paint this time. I didn't buy the paint from Eastwood, but they just started handling HOK products. Whatever companies paint you use, you should stick with that company from primer to clear including reducers. Less chance of incompatability, paint lifting, etc. Get the product sheets for the products you're using. They give mixing and spraying instructions and are invaluable.

Dave

Jay is correct. The curves of the GT40 require care when
painting. Trick is to be consistent in delivery, and allow
sufficient time in between coats, but an amateur can do it.
If you make a mistake, you'll just have to re-do the panel.

A GT40 does have some painting advantages vs normal car:

*The panels are light and can be individually mounted on stands for easy access/reach.
*They only require paint on the outside.
* If you do make a boo-boo you only have to re-paint
a panel vs difficult blend-in or repaint entire body.

A word about paints...metalflakes are very tricky to get
consistent topcoat. If your choice is metalflake, consider
out sourcing unless you have done it successfully before.

Solid colors are generally no problem, and so long
as you mix the paint consistently and watch the humidity/temperature, you can paint the panels at
different times. That is not the preferred way, but
I've done it several times without a problem.

MikeD

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hi Jay: I think I can give you the names of a couple of people here who can paint the GT40 and do a good job. Give me a call at 410 349 1234 and I'll try and hook you up. GT could do it but they are so behind on restoration work it wouldn't be timely. I have at least one other I can get you in touch with.

Back