Window tinting

I would like to tint my side windows, but have been informed that film tinting doesn't work very well on plexiglass. According to a local tint guy, apparently plexi breathes, and will cause bubbles between the tint film and the glass.
Has anyone experienced this, or have an alternate solution?
Thanks!

Bill

One possible solution is to get side window suppliers to use tinted plexiglas for a special run for you. That way the tint is all the way through, etc. I wonder if you could get away with flat plexiglas cut to the right shape.

They used to do a spray for Boy Racers here in the UK, that you could spray over your headlamps etc to get an tint effect, I wonder if that would be any good?

Thanks for the ideas, guys!
I think that flat tinted plexiglass would work out OK.
DMV can be funny about how dark the tint is, so I'm reluctant to try spray tint, as it could be a lot more
difficult to remove than film, but I guess that I could just remove the windows for inspection.
My interior is black leather, and gets kinda hot, when the car sits out in the sun. Getting into the seat without scorching your butt can be a problem!

Bill
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have been reliably informed by Steve Shedden, that flat
plexiglass will NOT work for side window panels. The windows have small compound curves, which would crack a flat panel, when screwed in place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I am going to try the film tinting, and hope for the best.

Mark Clapp,
Would you be willing to make a set of tinted side windows?
Please let me know. Thanks.

Bill

Making curved plexiglas is relatively easy with a mold (curved wood fixture covered with soft material) and an oven. You heat the plexiglas to something like 250F and then place on form wearing cotton gloves. Use your hands to smooth it out.

Also, whomever supplies the cut plexiglas side windows for GT40's has to do the same thing. You could ask them to make a run with tinted plexiglas if you would like.

Gary,
I'm sure that I could get a set from GT40 Australia, but was hoping for a U.S. supplier of GT40 light covers(Mark Clapp)to tell us that he has tinted windows available! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

Does anyone know where to get some tinted Lexan or similar in the UK. I'm looking to get a few rough cuts so that I can fit them myself....

Grateful for any advice on type, percentage and colour of the tint too!

Thanks.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have heard if you take plexi and in a baby bath make a dyola solution

dip in an offcut and start the stopwatch

Check the tint every few minutes and when "right" stop the clock

Then use the same time for your main pieces

The tint will darken but you cannot reverse the process

Cheers
Ian

Back