Quattro vs 2WD Audi transmissions

Can someone shed some light on the issue and applicability of the Audi 2WD vs AWD transmissions? My 016 gearbox looks like it could've had a rear output shaft, and I have a little plate (Porsche part) to cover the rear of the gearbox. So I guess the first question is, "Can 016 gearboxes from Audi 5000 and Audi 100 Quattro cars be used?"

Second, I have a friend who used to own an Audi S4. He, in turn, has a friend who has a 6-speed transmission out of an S4 with bad synchros, and he has indicated a willingness to sell it to me for a couple hundred bucks. This is the 01E transmission, and I understand that the 01E gearboxes from the S4 have the added advantage of a mechanical pump to allow cooling of the differential lubricant. But everything I've read about the 01E suggests that we would need to use the 2WD version, which was not imported to the US. BTW, I got a quote on a new 2WD 01E gearbox and it was $5,450 plus shipping from Germany. The picture below of Ray Christopher's 01E-equipped GT40 shows what is clearly a provision in the gearbox case for a rear output shaft, which has been covered in this instance. Does anyone know if an AWD 01E gearbox can be set up for use on a GT40?

AudiGetrag6Spd2.JPG

OK, well, it looks like I may have to answer my own question this time. I obtained a copy of the parts database software that Audi uses in Europe, and I'm starting to understand this issue...not as well as I will when I can get my hands on one of these 01E boxes, but I'm learning. Since the 01E data is better than the 016 data in the database, I'll focus my comments on the 01E box.

The major internal difference in the 2WD vs AWD transaxles is the AWD box uses a different output shaft setup with a hollow output shaft to direct power to the rear wheels on the AWD box. There are also differences in the aft third of the case (the gearbox cover), although the transmission case and the end shield (usually painted black) are pretty much identical between the 2WD and AWD. Several variants of the Quattro boxes use an internal mechanical oil pump (this would be a nice feature on a GT40) but it's not available on the 2WD boxes. It does appear to be feasible to retrofit a 2WD box with the oil pump. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The remaining differences seem to be mostly related to supporting the rear output shaft on the AWD box vs sealing up the rear on the 2WD box, and stuff relating to the different oil systems (the 2WD boxes have an oilbreather and the AWD boxes with pumps don't).

As for gearing, the AWD and 2WD 01E boxes can swap out input shafts, ring/pinion gears, and many synchros and gearsets. Changing gears 2-6 seems straightforward (as long as you consider tearing atransmission apart to be straightforward), and changing gears 1 and 2 would require a different input shaft. The final drives on the 01E boxes were mostly 4.11 or 3.89, just like on the 016 boxes, but a few models had a 3.75 final drive (EKN and FRM boxes from the A8...most likely a turbo diesel model). Sixth gear ratios can be had between 0.73 and 0.56, so there are plenty of good gearing options in the 01E box for a GT40.

Audi is trying real hard to keep the 2WD boxes out of the US, but they're still offering nice 2WD boxes on A4s, A6s, and A8s in Europe. I'll have to do some more research to see if it's cheaper to retrofit a Quattro box for 2WD or to simply buy one and have it shipped from Europe. I'm compiling all this data in a huge spreadsheet and I'll make it available when it's done.

Mark,

Great info! Keep it comming! An 01E with a 3.75 R&P would make an otherwise marginally useable box into the real deal. Which model code has the .56 6th and the 3.75 R&P?

Andy

Hi Mark,

I took several hours to think about that. I find your topic, not interesting but very, very interesting. I also think that's possible, good and cheap solution. I live near you in Quebec, Canada. Please keep me in touch with this AWD to 2WD Getrag 6 speed swap. If you need a good machine shop, I'm the man you need.

I also find the gear ratio, very good 6th ratio overdrive and good ratio 1-4 gears.

See you

EG

Hi EG. Montreal is one of my favorite cities! And I always like to talk to machinists, especially about stuff like gearboxes!

I'm going to post some diagrams of the 01E gearbox.

The first two are the AWD case and the 2WD case:

01E%20AWD%20Case.jpg

01E%202WD%20case.jpg

The next two compare the output shaft of the AWD box, with the hollow rear shaft, and the simpler 2WD output shaft:

01E%20AWD%20Output%20Shaft.jpg

01E%202WD%20Output%20Shaft.jpg

Hi Mark,

I take some time to compare both. What are your plan.....

To swap all the inside or to try to lock the sleeve shaft?

I'm not a Pro in tranny but I can do any kind of custom part.

Do you have a holiday in July. I can plan to visit you if you want!

See you

E.G.

I'm thinking about swapping out the parts and effectively building a 2WD transmission, with a good final drive ratio. I'm in the process of compiling a parts list needed for the swap, and I'll compare the price of those parts to the cost of a new (or used) 01E 2WD transaxle. I have a line on two WSY transmissions from S4s right now (both need 2nd gear synchros) so maybe I can do this (somewhat) inexpensively.

I'll PM you regarding holiday plans.

Mark,
This is really an interesting project that you have taken on.
I'm just glad that there is people like you and Gilbert that
make the effort to understand and research all this. It benifits so many of us, including the manufacturers who I think, are watching this post intently.

Hersh:)

Back