Thank god there was no fire

Last weekend I took my car out for the first time this year, mainly to test the newly installed aluminium radiator.With 32°C temperature the weather was great to see how the cooling system would perform.
I drove it for about 50km, the temperatures were normal but the car started to hesitate on accelleration and the engine just kept on dieing at the traffic lights.
I also seemed to notice that the fuel pump was working overtime as the noise was similar to when it pressurises the system prior to starting the engine.It somehow seemed that the fuel pump couldn't keep up with the pressure.
I decided it was time to head for home when the engine suddenly died during cruising in 5th gear.
I immediately switched fuel tanks but when the engine wouldn't restart again I let the car roll out and parked it.
My initial thought was a blown fuse as this had happened a few times before.
The fuses were all ok although one was so hot that I hardly could touch it.
Then I went to open the rear clip and got frightened by the sight of fuel all over the engine with puddles of fuel on top of the intake manifold.
I got my2 fire extinguishers on board ready but was happy that I didn't need to use them
I called it a day and it was a tow job back home.
The next day when the engine was cold I removed the air filter and switched the fuel pump on for 2 seconds. Fuel was pouring out of the vent from the primary float bowl of the Holley carburettor.
When I removed the primary float bowl I found some corrosion, so it is likely that this caused the fuel valve to get stuck in the open position.

Attachments

• 19209-001.jpg
    19209-001.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 585
Finally got the Holley overhaul kit and fixed the carburettor.
But when adjusting the fuel level in the float chamber there is only half a turn between setting the correct level an having fuel pouring out the vent like on the foto.
Is this normal for Holley carburettors?

Are you setting the level to the bottom of the plug hole on the side of the bowl?
Nathan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I took off the sight glass and set the fuel level until fuel just started to come out the plug hole while the engine was running.

Does it still over flow with the level set at the bottom of the Hole?
Nathan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No, it is ok like that, but while I was adjusting the level I found that only half a turn on the adjusting screw makes the fuel overflow out of the vent and spills fuel all over the engine. Never thought that such a small variation in adjustment can cause a potentially dangerous situation.
I will will pay from now on a lot more attention to the fuel level.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
You were extremely lucky. It's made me think and one line of thought is a fire wire system. It has two functions - overheat and fire as well. If any body out there still has contacts with aviation - mine are all just about retired now - could ask any relevant questions about the wire we might all benefit. Boeings have it draped around the undercarriage (sorry USA - Gear) bay and engine nacelles.
It may have merit after your incident.You must have been good all your life.....I don't think I would have been so lucky!
Dave M

Back