R/H shift on UK cars

Does anybody know whether it is possible on any of the UK kits to replicate the original gear shift configuration, where the stick exits from a tunnel to the RHS of the drivers seat, instead of out of the top of the RHS sill, or is this not possible due to the fuel tank, does any body have any pictures of either a MDA or Tornado with the right hand fuel tank fitted but without the aluminium panels in place. I believe the RF has this arrangement, I have posted a picture from Robert Logans site to illustrate.

I can only speak about the limitations of the GTD chassis. The petrol tank would not be the issue, in fact there is a good gap between the petrol tank and the inner sill. Your problem would be having enough width for the seat. The seats are already narrow (at 18"), taking them down, say 2", would mean being very slim-hipped driver.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Mark
As Dave says,the GTD would be a problem because of the width of the seats but the Tornado does have off-set seats and the gear lever does come out of a fibreglass extension to the right hand sill so to replicate the original should not be difficult.

Brian

Editor, Fortyfication.

Ron Earp

Admin
The RF is very similar as well. Mine is right hand drive, right hand shift and the drivers area is about 2.5 inches wider than the passengers to accomidate the shifter tunnel.

Ron

Back