Motor Max coolant additive

Guys,
I just tried a quart of this stuff, and it made
a huge difference in my engine's typical running temperature.
I used to get temp spikes in stop and go traffic,but not any more.
My A/C seems colder as well!
The manufacturer claims that it transfers heat evenly
throughout an engine, eliminating hot spots.
Well, they made a believer out of me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Racer Parts Wholesale $19.95/qt
This stuff is definitely worth a try!

Bill

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bill, If you still have the can or bottle it came in, can you give the manufacturer or perhaps their website or any details at all. Nothing like it here in UK as far as I know.
Regards
Dave M

David, have a look at Red Line Water Wetter, obtainable from Demon Tweeks, £14.06 (plus vat and del) for 355ml.
It's on p223 of their current catalogue.

Regards, Dipstick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hey Bill; do you think this would work in my CAT marine diesels? they seem to run a little warm and the sea water temp here is only about 79 degrees.

Jim,

I have used Nalcool and water in GM 871's, Cat 3208's & 3196's.
That dropped my engine temps by ten degrees.
I just learned of Motor Max recently. It works miracles
in my car(10-15 degrees, with no temp spikes), but I
haven't tried it in a diesel engine, YET. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Clean out and check your (boat) engine's coolant system
(raw water pumps, heat exchangers, fuel & trans coolers, thermostats),
for proper water flow.
A slightly damaged water pump impeller can jump engine temps by 10 degrees.
The little pieces of rubber impeller fin go straight to your heat exchanger, etc.,
and can really hamper cooling performance.
Higher running temperatures will cause a noticeable loss of HP in diesel engines.
What model Cats are they, and how hot do they run?

Bill

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hi Bill, they are 3116s and they run about 185 or 190 right now running at 2400 revs or so. I am going to replace the impellers this week, since I am on call all week and can't take her out. I just drained the cooling systems (because I was cleaning the aftercoolers) and put in new AF and CATs additive, but I think you are right about the impellers and I am going to change them. How are you doing over there in DE?

Jim,
If you have 3116's, then they aren't old enough to justify running that hot.
185 or 190 degrees doesn't sound too bad, but what about when the seawater temp rises up into the 80's? If the impellers don't cure the problem, remove and clean out the heat exchanger cores. Look for rubber fin parts at the intake side of the cores. If there aren't any there, and you still have a problem, try the fuel and trans coolers next. The combination of reduced impeller efficiency, and coolant blockage, can make a big difference. Be careful removing the impellers, as the cam housing is Bakelite, and
they crack easily.
By the way, I'm doing great, aside from this damn weather.
39 days of rain here, since May 1st! Not exactly GT40 weather!
How's your car coming along? Can you post some photos?

I wouldn't be afraid to ask Racer Parts Wholesale if you can run Motor Max in a diesel, if all else fails.

Bill

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hi Bill!
Slow progress on car; the body parts have been finished for ages, David Brown has made some significant progress on the tub in the last few months, but we are still not where we ought to be. Hopefully things will pick up. We were starting to put the engine together, and ran into a problem with the con rods, so when new ones come from SCAT we will get back on that.
I am going to try MotorMax in my cars and meanwhile change out the impellers in the CATs, for new Globes. I'll check the zincs, too, there may be a fragment stuck in there somewhere. Do you ever get down this way, I would love to see your car.
Jim Rosenthal

Back