Spigot bearing removal idea

Malcolm

Supporter
Was helping Julian solve an issue he had with his spigot bearing the other day and we came up with a possibly neat idea to assist in removing the afore mentioned bearing, some thing that can take ages if unlucky. Remember that program on telly, Dream Cars when theirs got stuck?

When fitting a new bearing there is likely to be a gap behind the bearing. Turn up a thick washer that is a neat fit and cut a thread in the centre of it. Slide it in prior to the bearing and then fit the bearing in the normal manner. When you come to remove the bearing next time you will have a decent thread to attach a puller to.

Just an idea.

Malc,

This is the trick that Chris Cole suggested to me. I will shortly be trying it out as I have to remove the bearing (a needle roller).

I used some Sikaflex to stop the nut rattling around behind the bearing.

Malcolm

The guy on Dream cars had no idea of how to do the trick properly. In order to hydraulically remove the bearing, you cannot just put a little grease behind the bearing with your finger, you have to completely fill the space and exclude all the air. This can be done with a grease gun. Then the hammer pressure from the close fitting centre piece is transfered to the back side of the bearing to push it out.
Their reason for having to remove it, (it was pushed in too far) sounded like an excuse to me as I'm sure the bearing looked damaged from hammering it in.

Regards

Dave

Right, the bearing had horrendous hammer marks. I know the show had a deliberate light-hearted style but this was a very bad advert for all of us (more careful/professional) 'amateurs'! I am afraid that incident and the video showing the GT40 gearbox being removed with a scaffolding pole destroyed my image of the series in spite of some supercially excellent restorations in other programs.

I have previously removed a solid brass spigot exactly as you describe, it came out surprisingly easily.

Did the guy on Dream Car bother to clean the grease out of the end of the crankshaft, before installing the new bearing? I can only imagine what that grease would do to a clutch disc! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
I have tried filling the void with grease before. You end up very messy! Instead of a puller you can always attach a slide hammer. Save on the elctricity bill for the 500Amp welding gear but you still get to play with the hammer!

Malcolm

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
I am afraid that incident and the video showing the GT40 gearbox being removed with a scaffolding pole destroyed my image of the series in spite of some supercially excellent restorations in other programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave, then I take it you wouldn't like to see pictures of my engine removal using a tree, iron bar, length of rope, and lots of beer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifIt wasn't a 40 though, maybe that helps... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And, it just dawned on my what you fellows are talking about with spigot bearings - you mean pilot bearings!!! I bet there is more than one yank out there that was confused by this terminology!

Ron

Ron,

I think if you saw the video you'd understand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Incidentally, you are right we are two nations divided by a common language (who said that?). I have to learn to use: lifter (tappet), header (exhaust pipe), fender (wing?) and more no doubt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Ron Earp

Admin
I would like to see it. I've seen a show like it from the UK, they have it on BBC America but not that particular series. They've shown the Jag rebuild, the plane build, the helicopter build etc. but no GT40. Oh well, can't win them all. I suppose I'll have a pint and a fag...

Ron

Back