rev limit on stock 302

Can anybody advise me as to the safe rev limit on a 302, with stock crank, rods with ARP bolts, stock flat top cast pistons, high lift cam Windsor JNr heads. The whole assemly is fully balanced. I have head figures between 5,500 and 6,000. What do you think?

As I recall the rev limit on my 88 Mustang 5.0 was 6,200 RPM. After adding good rod bolts, better valve springs, a balence job and a better oil pump, I regularly took it to 6,500 with no problems.

Vic
CAV #49
Lemans Blue
Owner built 302
Getrag Trans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
I have revved stock bottom ends to 6500 RPM and a little more, but, that was only when the top end was doing its job too. You've got Windsor Jr. heads which don't typically flow enough to warrant much over 5600-5700 or so, ported, - unless they have been severely ported. Even then I don't think the runner volume will be what you need. How about your springs how are they?

I would guess that motor will peak around or before 5,500-5,600 so there my not be a lot of sense in going higher with the RPM. Dyno it and see.

What year was the block, that will tell us if the pistons are cast or forged, although if around 5,600 RPM is what you need it won't make a lot of difference.

Best,
Ron

Back