Shift Lights?

I was looking at some of the video clips on the club sites and in some you can see a light on the dash infront of the driver that appears to be a shift light it has 5 or 6 lights on it and they illuminate as the RPM increases.
Where can you get these, how are they activated and are they compatable with most Electrical systems? I would be intrested in some close up photos and any/all information on the system.
Thanks
Nathan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Nathan,

You might have seen the lights that Roy & I use in his Mk1 GTD, they look thus:
Shift%20Lights%202.JPG

They have six lights and have a remotely located control box that looks thus:
Shift%20Lights%201.JPG

This enables you to set the point at which the 1st and last led illuminate and the unit spreads the others inbetween (if that makes sense?).

The box allows you to set a shift down rpm that illuminates the left hand Green LED when you drop below a certain point - in addition there are six levels of brilliance to the leds you can set, whether they flash when all on, a filter function and so on. The unit also stores six profiles, each of which can have diffent settings (eg. road use / sprint / circuit / driver a/b etc etc). The unit has a peak max (absolute maximum Rpm recorded) and a smartmax which filters the input against time (also adjustable) so it records peak revs in gear on load as opposed to 'missed shifts' (something I managed on each of my three runs at the AMOC Sprint yesterday at Goodwood - oops)

The unit can be hooked to just about any ign system and if you have problems, the mfrs provide excellent support. NO, before you ask I'm not on commision but the unit works great and therefore deserves good critique. Dave Parker also uses it in his R42 as does Julian in his GTD.

You can visit the suppliers website from our LINKS PAGE

Finally - for a more discreet installation - why not consider an installation like Andrew Fordyce has in his GTD MK1. This uses an SPA 3 digitally controlled 3-light system. I modded this to replace the supplied display unit with three high intensity LEDs that were then mounted in small dash mounted clips between tacho and water temp guage thus:
Creg%20Ny%20Baa%20Taster%202003.JPG

This keeps a period look to the car but gives the bonus of a bright shift light (When off you don't even notice them)

Hope this is of use.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

This is a very interesting subject. One to which I have recently been delving into.

I have just ordered the SPA 3 stage system with helmet mounted LEDs.

See www.spa-uk.co.uk

For absolute full dash authenticity a crash helmet mounted row of LEDs seems best. These point outward, i.e away from your face and project the lights like a HUD display.

The benefits are clear. You will always be able to see the lights, no matter where you look. There is less wiring involved, no drilling into the dash etc. It is easily removed for road use and thus maintains the period look of your car. You can also mount the pod on the dash with velcro - if required, or anywhere else in the field of view.

A very good option and certainly worth considering.

Regards,

J.P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i have run a adjustible shift lite from AUTOFORM for 40 bucks and it works out fine and its adjustible.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Frank -

Only just!!! -

Actually the unit has a test mode to allow you to set, among other things, one of six levels of brilliance and this is done without the engine running. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Paul, considering you have full row of lights on in Roys car, did you stop before hitting your garage door ? Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

Frank,

Paul was probably spinning a yarn about the shift lights being set with the engine off. I reckon he was in reverse!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Giving it the full max like a hooligan! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JP, I remember seeing Roy in the same car doing a full blown wheelspin start in his driveway for a television programme about him, what the camera did not show was that the car was pointing directly at his garage doors. At 77 he is still a hooligan ! Frank

[ QUOTE ]

Giving it the full max like a hooligan! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ME?? - I don't know what you mean!!

tyremarks.JPG

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back